I just bought what?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

skyrydr2

I just bought what?

Post by skyrydr2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

Hi folks I just purchased a David Brown and the tag says:
tractor serial number 995/6/1 980075
Engine serial number 455071 50005
What the heck is it ? A 995 or 996?
I need to replace the clutch and pressure plate and need to know as there are so danged many different ones for it.

Moose

Re: I just bought what?

Post by Moose » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am

Have a look at the following link.

viewtopic.php?t=7630

A 996 has a hand clutch whereas a 995 does not.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

As informed, your tractor is a 996 and this tractor has a lever (hand) operated PTO clutch. Please find the clutch parts catalogue page in the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 4ar1280770 There is only clutch for the 996, the one in the link I have provided. The problem here is that Case in US was stubbern and used to call the 996 "995 with dual clutch".

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 pm

I think all US tractors were sold as 995 to avoid market confusion

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks Ollek, your the best!
Now for the fun part... trying to buy the parts to fix it. The clutch blew out the center rivets finally but definately had some serious hard use! The preasure plate it destroyed ... cracked clean through! How hard is it to replace just that piece? It shows it as being available? And obviously the disc will be replaced as well.
My question is what is required to rebuild it and re-install this type of double clutch setup?
I had the tractor split in about 2.5 hrs. What sweet rig to work on!

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Also, no where on this tractor does it say Case! Not any tags and definately not on the sheetmetal! What year is this rig? Is it a 1975 or 1971?

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Selling the tractor as a 995 was what made it difficult to understand as all manuals are labelled 996 and only the US market called the tractor a 995. The reason for the use of the 995 model number was most likely that Case in the US avoided homologating the tractor. Strip down the clutch so to get to the PTO clutch plate and have the possibility to check all parts, including the fly wheel, for any faults. The first 996 tractor was assembled in 1971 and had the serial number 980001, so your tractor is mosdt likely a 1971 production. David Brown never worked with model years but all changes was made from a specific serial number during any time ot the production year. The clutch is the same as in 1200, 1210 and 1212, please see the following link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 21wZmFOcDQ and section "Clutch, Selectamatic Tractors". And you are right, it does not say "Case" anywhere on your tractor. The tractor was a genuin David Brown, but the David Brown company was bought by Tenneco in the US and incorporated With the Case company in 1972, a little bit later than the first 996 tractors left the David Brown factory in Meltham, Hudersfield in UK. And one more thing, the 996 was 8 cm longer (wheel base) than the 995, as the 1200, 1210, 1212 clutch needed more space. This was at first done by a spacer betwen the clutch housing and the engine frame on the 996.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks a bunch Ollek, I new I could count on you and this sight for a guick history lesson on my newly acquired toy.
I plan on fixing it up back to factory condition this winter . But for now, I need to get him mobile! I was able to purchase the disc and pressure plate only, now I need to disassemble the assembly to replace just the pressure plate , is this done any way special or can I just put it in a press and push down on the body just enough to relieve the tension to get the pins out ?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 am

Have a look in the link I sent you earlier. You will find the informations needed starting on page 15 in said document.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks Ollek again! That is exactly what I was looking for! Magnificent!
This 996 is a lot more sophisticated than me old 950 DB LOL.
When did they stop the brown and white color scheme out of curiosity?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:19 pm

The info in the following link tells you when the different was colour used in David Brown tractors. http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/information/colour-codes The Chocolate Brown frame became power red in 1972. The Orchid White bonnet was used from 1965 to 1985. The same colour sceme (red / white) was used by Case in the US from 1972 to 1985.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 pm

So if thats the case, mine should be chocolate and white with red decals because it is a 1971 996?
Nice if that's the case.

Ollek my friend I have a test for ya,
I have a single remote valve on my tractor and it was seized but I got it moving and every single part inside it working EXCEPT for the spring in the detent release unit. It came out in a bunch of pieces. Would you happen to know the specs of this spring so I can get or make a new one?

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 am

Here is a link to the 996 http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/990-995-996-synchromesh Regarding the spring in the remote velve, sorry I have no idea.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am

Well I finally got all my parts and got the clutch back in and tractor back in 1 piece.
Only took 2 hours of cussing and pondering and assembling, disassembling and re assembling mamy times to figure out the pto disc was in backwards DOH! We NEVER AT ANY POINT FORCED IT TO GO TOGETHER! Thank god! I was adamant that it would fall together if correct! I WAS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! When it turned around and put back the tractor literally jumped together! I would not hesitate to do another in the future now that I know how things qo.
I need to drain transmission now because the oil is milky because the shifter boots were wiped out. I have new ones for it .
Oh and Ollek my friend, I figured out that little spring and was able to get one easy peasy from Mcmaster-carr, the valve and detents work like a champ!

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am

Huge QUESTION! What size is the hitch pin for the draw bar? I need to make a new drawbar and was wondering what size the pin hole is ? Is it 3/4" or 7/8" ? It can't be 1" could it? If the bar is only 2" wide that doesn't leave a lot of meat around the hole?