Exaust pipes

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Wheelie

Exaust pipes

Post by Wheelie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Probably a silly question this but have an exaust pipe off a 90 series and if I look down through it,there is no obstruction and can see straight through with no mesh or any sort of honey comb, it's the round type silencer it,is this normal? Or is it finished? Thanks

tomryall

Re: Exaust pipes

Post by tomryall » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 pm

A lot of turboed engines had a straight though exhaust pipe, I dont know if your 90 series is turbo or not, I also know some people that put a crowbar straight trough the exhaust pipe said it gave the tractor more power?

Wheelie

Post by Wheelie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 am

Yeah it's a turbo, but it has a silencer on the exaust just when looked down through there is nothing there, I would presume that should be some sort of honey comb to dampen the noise? Have seen them straight through pipes on some alright

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:15 am

Cromed straight pipes are some times retro fitted by tractor owners as some people think it looks good. David Brown fitted different types of silencers to all tractors.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

Some mufflers / silencers as you call them are designed and built as a straight through look but do have a mesh inside to allow the noise to be absorbed through the mesh to help, muffle / silence, the noise. So what you have may well be in good working order. I have one of these types of mufflers on my 30C and it is not loud at all.

Wheelie

Post by Wheelie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks for that, I am fairly sure there was a little mesh inside alright, was ages since looked at that though, nothing there now anyway, tractor just seems a bit loud that's all really,just not not sure how much mesh should be in them

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm

DB parts list a straight through exhaust for turboed engines so I assume they must have been origanly fitted by DB.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm

I thought we had a discussion around 90-series tractors and turbo engines and I was refering to a pipe only with no sound reduction materials in it. The straigt pipe available at Davidbrownparts is for the VAK1 model with kerosine engine and produced during wwII. No David Brown diesel engine ever had a straigt exhaust pipe. A muffler can have a straight trough pipe, but it is still a silencer.

Wheelie

Post by Wheelie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 pm

So am I right in saying there should be some sort of silencing system in the silencer on the exaust, like the wire mesh or honey comb that can be seen when looking down the pipe?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 pm

The video in the following link explaines how different types of mufflers works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JJSXWKIC8

Wheelie

Post by Wheelie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Great little video thanks for that

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 am

Bought a new silencer for my restored 1210 a couple of years ago, nicely made and enameled but when I fired the tractor up the silencer rose and fell with the tractor revs. Looking down the pipe I could not see through so obviously there were baffles in there. I asked the question on this forum what to do about it and was advised to get a straight steel bar and hammer down through the baffles. I reluctantly did this and have used the tractor ever since with no problems and no excessive noise.

Wheelie

Post by Wheelie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

Your 1210 definitely came alive with that!!Well there ye go a good hammering and sorted!obviously plenty of different types then, think it's the wire mesh type for this one!