995 Hydraulic issues

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Pearson

995 Hydraulic issues

Post by Pearson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 am

Hello, so I purchased a 995 last winter, very solid unit that has spent it last years on the farm stored outside. I trailered the tractor home and discovered the hydraulic oil was mostly water and the filter housing was a solid block of ice, I had to wait until spring for the ice in the transmission to thaw. I flushed the tractors hydraulic system, added new hytran and filter, started the tractor and it runs mint. Now after running for a few minutes the hydraulic oil is full of air bubbles, also the loader works sporadically and three point hitch arms won’t rise. I suspect the hydraulic sump pipe from the filter to the pump may have froze and split, hopefully the pump is not ************, any thoughts?

ollek

Re: 995 Hydraulic issues

Post by ollek » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:09 am

Air can get into the system if the O-ring betwen the suction pipe and the pump is damaged or the O-ring at the tip of the lamp switch connector is damaged or the warning lamp switch adapter is broken, please see items 13, 18 and 15 in the folloiwing link. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1289500 Remove the PTO and check and please be sure to remove the adapter (ref 15) before you remove the pto. The adapter will brake if left in place.

Pearson

Post by Pearson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Ok thanks, hopefully just a simple fix, the tractor was a deal at only $500, brand new tires and nice tin work

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Not sure about your tractor but the older ones like a heavier oil than Hytrans, I assume you have the owners manual? I have seen it recommended to move the tractor someplace where the front is higher, then the pump and lines are submerged in oil so pump will still work if a O-ring or pipe is damaged. If there was water in the oil it may take a couple of changes with warm weather use to get it clean. You may end up needing to disassemble and clean valves.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:05 pm

The Selectamatic hydraulic system is designed to work with SAE 10W-30 and the Hytran viscosity is around 13W-25. The heavier transmission oil (SAE 80W-90) is used in Implematic and older tractors only. Hytran is a oil devreloped for International Harvester tractors and is used also in later Case IH tractors. David Brown tractors and all Case and Case IH branded tractors made in Meltham UK, was made to be using oils like UTTO or STOU and even the use of engine oil in a Selectamatic transmission was possible before the UTTO / STOU oils was introduced to the market. Mixing Hytran with other oils can result in foaming of the oil. David Brown never recommended Hytran for their tractors, but the Americans wanted to do it their way, and started to recommend Hytran.

Pearson

Post by Pearson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 am

Yes I have the original manual for this unit, we always used TDH oil in our 885 from the time it was new and have had no issues, it just seems to be what every farmer and mechanic uses here. Also wanted to ask at what point did the selectamatic tractors change their hydraulic filter? Seems like everyone I order for my 990 does not have the hole in the bottom for the suction screen

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 am

The suction "filter" without the hole in the bottom for the screen, is for later tractors with the pump monted in front of the engine and a pressure filter mounted behind the rear axle on the right hand side. (1210, 1212). All tractors with rear mounted pump have the filter with the hole in the bottom (885, 990, 995, 996). The following is a link to the parts catalogue for a 995 filter and pipes https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1289500 The following link is for tractors with front mounted pump https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 3ar1094967 Ref 42 is the suction strainer and the introduction serial number can be found in the explanation for the item. The following link shows the pressure filter https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 3ar1101538 Please note that the "filter" without the hole is in fact a washable suction strainer. and this was not used in tractors with rear mounted pump.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am

The recommendation to use Hytran was only for Case's profit, the oil was 4 times the price of a standard universal tractor oil.
Many years ago Castrol produced extensive charts for virtually every individual model tractor with the agreed lubricant as recomended by the manufacturer. There was also a guarantee that using the Castrol equivalent would be warranted by Castrol them selves if parts failure was blamed on the lubricant.
The charts for all DB tractors never mentioned Hytran neither DB or Castrol

Pearson

Post by Pearson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am

Thank you for the information, however.. if I go to my local case dealer and buy a filter for my 990 or 995 I get the identical filter that I need only it doesn't have the hole in the bottom for the suction screen. Our 885 we can always get the correct filter for. I suppose you should not need the suction screen as long as you keep your oil clean and filter changed at regular intervals. Neither my 990 or 995 had a screen in place when I purchased the tractors

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 am

ALL rear pump tractors shall have the screen fitted to the paper filter. This is the factory fitment and any other solutions are made by people who do not know this. The setup is the same in 885, 990, 995 and 996 tractors and the paper filter and the screen are the same in all these tractors. The warning light in the dash can not work correctly if you do not have the screen with the magnet and the suction valve in it. Why have the expensive suction screen in there when the price for the correct paper filter is a fraction of the price for the suction screen. The filtration capability for the suction screen is mutch less than for the paper filter. The suction screen is not a filter it is just a mesch. The filter in tractors that are built with the suction screen have a pressure filter behing the rear axle. The suction screen is washable and it is not ment to change it at all, the filter is the item to change. Please see the links I have provided.

Pearson

Post by Pearson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Everything you have just mentioned I know already. The problem I am having is with the case dealerships. The filters they provide do not have the hole for the magnetic suction screen. That I imagine is why all the old tractors I buy do not come with there original suction screens. I believe the case dealerships here must be getting poor quality aftermarket filters, most are made in Turkey and seem to be of poor quality, thanks again for the info ollek, I will try and source the correct filters and I also will need to buy 2 suction screens from a salvage yard

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi Pearson;
Call Elmer Landman @ 519-363-2663 Chesley Ontario, he would have all the correct parts including filters for all David Brown tractors,
Hope this helps you

Pearson

Post by Pearson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks, is that the small shop on the North side of the road? My boss has a grass farm near there and I saw a few David Brown tractors parked outside

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 pm

I just spoke to Elmer Landman & yes that's his Shop on the north side.
Good luck,