Witch david brown engine have i got

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Casemad

Witch david brown engine have i got

Post by Casemad » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi every one ,i have a case580g 4x4 turbo 1988 .and i can not find out witch engine i have the engine number is
(220604 11574756 )any help would be mutch appreciated by the expert david brown guys

txtractorguy

Re: Witch david brown engine have i got

Post by txtractorguy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm

A Case 580G is a backhoe/fork lift, isn't it? I believe this would be a Case engine and would not be associated with David Brown.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Bit of a tricky one unless someone happens to recognise the numbers.

It's probably a Case engine - it's possible that they used their 188 diesel for the backhoes, I'm not sure - but David Brown engines were used in some of their crawlers.
I know a 4WD 580 that has a turbo engine, it's a Case one. I doubt if DB did any turbo engines that would be small enough to suit a 580 but could be wrong.

Look on the side of the engine block to see if it has David Brown cast into it, just below the cylinder head.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 am

As i understand it some of the backhoes were DB powered as are bedwards Case traxcavators, little seems to be known about the fitting of the engines probably an agreement between DB and Case for UK and Europe . The configeration of the engine will clearly show if its DB or Case, look at pictures of both, exhaust inlet manofolds oil filter ect, the DBs can be from 990 to 1410 turbos, would like to find out more about them myself, some of the least known DBs .

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 am

I was going to suggest some pics of the engine will help resolve the mystery. High chances it is a CASE engine but there is that slight possibility it is a DB.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 am

Early Case excavators sold in the UK had DB power units and transmissions. Probably to get round tariff structures.
There is an interesting tie up in the later power shift transmission as fitted to the Maxxum tractors as they were actually a US case design for what should have been a DB product

Casemad

Post by Casemad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 am

Thank you for replying.
I can not seem to upload pictures here,
It is a front loader with a backhoe ,

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:59 am

The power shift trans for the Maxxum was developed by DB for the next model DB but ended up in the Maxxum when DB closed, nothing to do with Case USA.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:48 am

Hi Casemad to upload the pics they must be compressed to a smaller size. I know from experience that the Case CK, B & C model combination front end loader backhoes ran all Case engines, I operated them for many years.
As was suggetsed if you go to the D.B. website from the Forum and look up an engine number to see if it falls into place. Are you having problems with it or jsut curious?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:22 am

Yes, David Brown supplied engines to Case industrial products (580 backhoe and skid steer loaders). The engine number you state starts with 220, and this is the same as a 4/55 engine. 4 times 55 cubic inch (dispacement for one cylinder) is 220 cubic inch and this is the total dispacement of the engine. The exact figure for the total dispacement is 119 cubic inch and Case also called this engine 219. 90- and 94-series David Brown tractors had the 220 engine model designation. The parts catalogue tells that the crankshaft is the same in the engine for a 580g and for a 4-cylinder David Brown engine in 1390 and 1394. The 1410 engine was called 4/55T, as it had a turbo, higher turbo pressure (91 hp) and a stronger crankshaft. The 1394 had a turbocharger,(73 hp) but not the 1390. The 1490 and the 1494 (83) also had a turbo, and if I remember right, a stronger crankshaft as in the 1410. Based on this I am almost sure that the engine is the one used in the 1394 David Brown. The following wideo shows the 580g engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnsocmnHzRo

Casemad

Post by Casemad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 pm

That is very good information from you all (thank you)
I am having no trouble with the engine just want to identify to find the right filters for a engine service .
Il try uploading photos fo you
Thank you

mc

Post by mc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Ollek is spot on with his information.
The 580G engine is very similar to the 1390 & the 580G Turbo engine is very similar to the 1394.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 am

Your Case dealer should be able to put all the filters on the counter for you without all the searching.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am

There is a history somewhere of the development of the Maxxum and fit clearly states that the Powershift was developed by Case at Racine, for the next generation models including the tractor that was never built I believe

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 pm

davidbrownparts.com will have the filters etc for the engines mentioned above