DB1210 surging RPM

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

gwatts

DB1210 surging RPM

Post by gwatts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm

I'm trying to determine where I need to focus my attention on a DB 1210. I had the injector pump rebuilt about 10 years ago. Last year I had to have the fuel tank rebuilt because the previous owner had used a "slosh" type sealer to coat the inside of the tank.The coating broke free, clogging the system from the tank to the fuel filters. I removed the tank and had it professionally rebuilt, I blew everything out and re-primed the system. To finish my work I ran the tractor the rest of the week using a makeshift fuel tank from a 5 gal bucket. :D

I've been using the tractor ever since but recently have noticed that at low RPM (1200 or less) the engine is weak and sounds like one cylinder is not hitting. If the RPM is increased to 1400 or more it sounds like the cylinder starts hitting again. As long as the RPM is up the tractor works reasonably well. However, if it is allowed to lug down it has a hard time recovering. I've been pulling a 10 foot disc and it handles it well but you can't let it lug down. The RPM surges slightly even when it's pulling OK. Driving down the road with no load you can hear the RPM changing slightly. The tractor does not smoke and has normal oil consumption.

I recently changed the lift pump and fuel filters, this resulted in no noticeable improvement. Should I start with the injector pump or would fuel injectors be more likely? I don't know if the injectors have ever been cleaned or changed.

Thanks

ollek

Re: DB1210 surging RPM

Post by ollek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 am

Have you changed the oil in the injection pump? The rack in the pump can stick if there is no or dirty oil in the pump.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 am

I have not serviced the oil in the injector pump. I do recall the mechanic saying that the pump had no oil in it when I brought it in to be rebuilt years ago. I'll read up on it..

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm

So you got the pump from the diesel shop without oil in the pump and then you fitted the pump to the tractor without filling the pump with oil to the correct level. If this is the case, then you can have some seriuous problems with the pump after it has been run dry.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:42 pm

The pump was serviced with oil when I reinstalled it but has not been looked at since. I'm 500 miles from the tractor so I'll have to check this all out next time I'm at it's location.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm

The 1210 Operators Manual tells that the injection pump oil shall be changed every 125 hours of operation. In your case a I suspect that there is a mixture of water and dirty/old oil in the pump governor housing. This will lead to rusting of some of the pump parts. Try to open the bottom plug on the pump and let all the dirt out. Then fill the pump with engine oil to the correct level and start the engine. Run the engine for a couple of hours and change the oil again. With some luck, the pump will now work, keep fingers crossed.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 pm

That's on me. I remember the mechanic warning me to keep up with this oil and I completely forgot about it. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Regards,

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:04 am

I finally got a chance to look at this tractor. The oil in the injection pump reservoir was over full of oil mixed with diesel. I drained it all and replaced it with fresh oil. After running it a couple hours it began to lose power. I broke the injector lines and found only two of the four lines were carrying fuel. I’m down two cylinders. I can only assume that the fuel injection pump is failing. I removed the pump today to have it refurbished. Where I’m confused is with the timing of the injection pump. I rotated the engine to try and align the timing marks between the idler gear and the injection pump gear. However, when I got the two marks on the idler in sight the single mark on the injector pump gear was off by 4 teeth. This engine has been running like this for 10 years. Why would these timing marks not be aligned as depicted in the manual??

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:46 am

My engine had a gear fitted from a different model engine and the timing marks on the gears did not match up. Fortunately I marked them all with my own marks before taking it apart for a complete engine rebuild. I put it back together with my marks and it ran lovely. You might have the same issue or is it possible that a gear has moved?

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:49 am

The timing marks are lined up when the complete set of timing gears is fitted. When you now turn the engine a few turns, the timing markings will not be in the same place anymore. This is why the Workshop Manual is telling you to mark the position betwen the pump gear and the idler gear when you remove the injection pump.Trying to get the markings to line up by turning the engine can be a big job as it can take up to 60 or so turns before the dots are lined up again. You will see that many gears are "out of line", if you remove the front cover. The engine can not run if all other gears are lined up correctly but only the pump gear is out by 4 teeth. Fuel in the pump crank case is most likely because of worn injection elements.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am

I did mark the gears as per the manual but was confused about the original marks. Thanks for clearing this up for me.