Wear in 880 Selectamatic Linkage

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

tractorfan

Wear in 880 Selectamatic Linkage

Post by tractorfan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 am

As Spring approaches, my mind turns to doing a few jobs to the 880 and I've remembered about a particular problem in the linkage. At the tractor end of the link arms there's a pin that connects the arm to the chassis, and the receiving hole in the chassis has worn significantly and therefore there's a lot of free-play in the arm. Without having had a good look, is this part of the chassis removable for repair or does it have to repaired in-situ, and does that involve filling the worn hole with weld? Have any of you come across good/bad results of such a repair? Many thanks.

db2d

Re: Wear in 880 Selectamatic Linkage

Post by db2d » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:36 pm

The assembly can be removed and the worn insert removed and a suitable new one welded back in.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:43 pm

The connection brackets for the lower links are not not a part of the chassies (frame) and they are bolted to the rear axle, and can be removed. Please see the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar664615 Ref number 48 is one of the brackets. The following link is for a 995 and gives a better picture of the brsckets https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 1ar1305628

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:35 pm

DB traditonally used a 7/8" pin with a lynch clip to attach the lower link arm,I have used a pin with a nut and bolt that is bolted tight on the bracket with the lynch pin holding on the arm and it works better although not original, you have to be really looking to notice . these are readily available from most parts suppliers.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am

i think the biggest problem is the bearing has worn away and is out of round. Fitting a bolt in that situation may not take out the excessive movement. With a new bearing installed a new pin is cheap and the problem goes away.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 pm

I have also used a large bolt and nut, it takes out a lot of the movement. The bolt goes thru the frame on the tractor, thru the ball on the lower link with a nut holding it all on. I am sure replacing all the parts would be better but in the meantime this does help. On the other tractor, a new pin with extra washers under the lynch clip helped in reducing play. I do not have a 880 so may not be the same.