Identification help

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Glazier

Identification help

Post by Glazier » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:53 am

Hello, hopefully I can get some help on identifying the model I've just bought as my entry into this great world!
Sold as a 990 Selectamatic 1970, I downloaded a 1969 Selectamatic instruction manual and I'm now not sure that's what it is. What I think is the serial number, D923270, places it as a 995 Synchromesh, although illustrations of that model don't match up either.
I've attached some photos and would be very grateful for any help as I need to register it with the DVLA.
Thanks!
Paul
Attachments
IMG_20200128_114746.jpg
IMG_20200128_114746.jpg (108.53 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
IMG_20200128_114757.jpg
IMG_20200128_114757.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
IMG_20200128_115813.jpg
IMG_20200128_115813.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
DB 990.jpg
DB 990.jpg (251.36 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Side view.jpg
Side view.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 1934 times

ollek

Re: Identification help

Post by ollek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:23 pm

The numbers in the pictures are casting numbers for the parts the numbers are on. The tractor model and serial number can be found stamped on top of the front bolster (engine frame) on the right hand side, just behind the bonnet skirt and just to the rear of the radiator. The picture of the gear levers (left lever have L and H and right hand lever has 3 foreward and one reverse speed) seams to indikate that the tractor has a 6-speed non-syncronized gear box. With that in mind, the tractor must be a 880 or a 990 Selectamatic. It can not be a 995 as this model comwe into production in 1971 ands had a 12-speed syncronized gear box with 4 range gears (LS, L, HS and H).

Glazier

Post by Glazier » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm

ollek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:23 pm
The numbers in the pictures are casting numbers for the parts the numbers are on. The tractor model and serial number can be found stamped on top of the front bolster (engine frame) on the right hand side, just behind the bonnet skirt and just to the rear of the radiator. The picture of the gear levers (left lever have L and H and right hand lever has 3 foreward and one reverse speed) seams to indikate that the tractor has a 6-speed non-syncronized gear box. With that in mind, the tractor must be a 880 or a 990 Selectamatic. It can not be a 995 as this model comwe into production in 1971 ands had a 12-speed syncronized gear box with 4 range gears (LS, L, HS and H).
That's really helpful, thanks. :)

Glazier

Post by Glazier » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm

So.... the serial number 990 A821374 indicates a 68-71 Selectamatic Livedrive. The instrument panel doesn't resemble anything I've seen in driver manuals around that time and lacks water temperature/fuel gauges although there is a blanked gauge space. I'm keen to get it back to original spec but struggling to find any info/pics/diagrams of that I could use as a resource. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 am

The serial numer tells that the tractor is most likely prodused in january 1970 or late 1969. The instrument panei in your tractor has been heavely modified. The warning lights (oil pressure, charging and hydraulic filter) are not where they should be (or missing) and water temp and fuel gauges looks to be missing too. You can find a Ops Manual for 990 Selectamatic in the following link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z63VbS ... A7mKx/view The manual you need has number TP631 and this can be found half way down in the list. The said manual also includes the electrical diagram for the tractor.
Last edited by ollek on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 am

You dash layout is the same as my 880 except my keyswitch and stop knob are on the right. I think this is the early selectamatic layout before fuel/temp gauges and separate warning lights became standard.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:28 am

If you look on page 3 or 4 of your manual it will tell you the edition number of the manual. For my 880 I have edition 2 which shows an instrument panel like yours and mine but it includes a temperature gauge where our panels have a blank. Theres no separate warning lights which were added later in production. I beleive that the fuel gauge was intially an option and later became standard fitment.

I guess that edition 1 of the manual will show the dash as ours are and if anyone has a copy of edition 1, Id love a copy:)

Glazier

Post by Glazier » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 pm

ollek wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 am
The serial numer tells that the tractor is most likely prodused in january 1970 or late 1969. The instrument panei in your tractor has been heavely modified. The warning lights (oil pressure, charging and hydraulic filter) are not where they should be (or missing) and water temp and fuel gauges looks to be missing too. You can find a Ops Manual for 990 Selectamatic in the following link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z63VbS ... A7mKx/view The manual you need has number TP631 and this can be found half way down in the list. The said manual also includes the electrical diagram for the tractor.
Thanks ollek, that's the manual I had downloaded and realised that my panel is vastly different. That TP631 is last dated as May 69 so should reflect what was standard on the production date you've given. philedge's comments may point to a panel change at some time. Will attempt to track a correct one down.
Another quick newbie question........ I have the Instruction Book and the I&T Shop Service manual, which of the other relevant 990/Selectamatic manuals are worth downloading/purchasing?
Thanks!

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Be careful using the manuals to decide what should be on your tractor as they dont always align with manufaturing dates! My 880 is an early 1966 version and doesnt have a temp gauge nor does it have the cannister hydraulic filter on the left of the rear axle or a clutch interlock switch. Edition 2 of the operators manual is dated Jan 1966 pre-dating my tractor by a month or two and shows all of the above features. I think the manuals may reflect design concepts that the factory had planned but hadnt actually introduced. The clutch interlock is detailed in the Jan 66 manual but info I have suggests it wasn't actually in production for another 3-5 months!!

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

From the serial number and dates you and Ollek have posted I think youve got the wrong dash fitted. There should have been a filter blocked light fitted from the middle of 1967 onwards which you dont have! Your tractor looks in very good condition so maybe its been restored and the wrong dash fitted?? There maybe some wiring tucked behind the dash and even an indicator light for the filter??

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

The sender for the blocked hydraulic filter is situated on the underside of the PTO unit. If the tractor does not have this sender there will not be a warning light in the dash.

Glazier

Post by Glazier » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 pm

philedge wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm
From the serial number and dates you and Ollek have posted I think youve got the wrong dash fitted. There should have been a filter blocked light fitted from the middle of 1967 onwards which you dont have! Your tractor looks in very good condition so maybe its been restored and the wrong dash fitted?? There maybe some wiring tucked behind the dash and even an indicator light for the filter??
Thanks. Had a quick look and found a random indicator light behind the dash! Once Storm Dennis has soaked Kent I will attempt to trace what it's wired to.

philedge

Post by philedge » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 am

If thats the filter blocked warning light you'll likely find wiring for the fuel and temperature gauges too!! If thats the case then getting back to standard would mean fitting fuel and temp gauges in the cutouts youve got and drilling 3 holes across the top of the dash for the 3 separate indicator lights, or pick up the correct dash from ebay/breakers.

Glazier

Post by Glazier » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:19 am

philedge wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 am
If thats the filter blocked warning light you'll likely find wiring for the fuel and temperature gauges too!! If thats the case then getting back to standard would mean fitting fuel and temp gauges in the cutouts youve got and drilling 3 holes across the top of the dash for the 3 separate indicator lights, or pick up the correct dash from ebay/breakers.
Thanks, the dash panel is in fairly good condition compared to what I've seen currently for sale so I think I'll go down the drilling route, also considering just buying the correct loom and rewiring as well while I am at it which should help reduce any future electrical problems.

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:48 am

You already have the oil pressure and charging warning lights. If there isn’t a hydraulic filter transmitter switch under the PTO gearbox unit there in no need to drill the dashboard etc.