1967 DB 880 Dashboard

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

DRM

1967 DB 880 Dashboard

Post by DRM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

I have just purchased an (October?) 1967 DB 880 as a restoration project and am seeking some advice. The dashboard has a fuel gauge, temp gauge, hourmeter (older type with road speeds in the top half) three warning lights, horn push button and light switch. The fuel gauge does not work, and when I removed the bonnet, my fuel tank does not have a sender fitted, which made me think that this might not be the original dashboard.

In the second edition of the Instruction book (January 1966) the figure on page 6 shows that the dash at this time did not have a fuel gauge or hydraulic filter warning light. In the fourth edition (July 1969) the same figure now shows the addition of a fuel gauge and the three warning lights above the clocks (still no horn button).

Does anyone know how the dashboard developed on the 880? My tractor has the hydraulic filter vacuum switch under the PTO housing and remnants of the wiring under the right hand side floor board so presumably had a warning light on the dash. But it seems to have never had a fuel gauge so what dash did it leave the factory with?

As I don't really want a non-working fuel gauge in the dash I'm thinking of fitting the earlier battery charge/oil pressure warning light clock, especially if the hydraulic filter vacuum switch has failed (I understand you can't get replacements) and the warning light is therefore redundant.

I'd be grateful to hear from any 880 owners as to what is fitted on their dashboards and what age their tractor is.

Many thanks,

David

philedge

Re: 1967 DB 880 Dashboard

Post by philedge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Info Ive got shows the instrument panel was updated from serial number 544392 around november 1967. Does that serial number run just before yours?
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

DRM

Post by DRM » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

My tractor number is 544543. Looking at a previous post it looks like the fuel gauge was an option after 544392 so it may be the original dash. My next job is to remove the dash and investigate why the gauge doesn’t work.

Assuming that the vacuum switch under the back end wasn’t fitted on the early tractors, I wonder if the change of dash also coincided with the fitting of the hydraulic filter warning lamp which mine also has.

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m sure I’ll have more questions when I get behind the dash.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 am

The filter warning light is in use only in tractors with a paper suction filter and a strainer under the gear box frame. Tractors with only a suction strainer under the belly had no filter warning light. The vacuum switch works together with the filter warning light. The following is a link to instruments on the tractor, giving lots of informatrions about the fitment of different instruments. The fuel gauge was optional. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar439838
Last edited by ollek on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am

Most likely reason for the fuel gauge not working is that DRM posted that it has no sender unit. Maybe he was looking in the wrong place.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 pm

From the info I have-
The paper suction filter was introduced from serial number 543157 around Aug 67, so a few months ahead of the dash update.

Fuel gauge was an option from serial number 536080

My early 880 doesnt have any cutouts for indicator lights but has a blank cutout where a temperature gauge could go, so I guess the temperature gauge was an option on early tractors.

I guess there would have been a modified dash from Aug 67(or earlier) for the suction filter blocked light, unless it was fitted onto the blanking plate fitted to earlier tractors???

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Please, read the parts catalogue link I have provided. It gives all the informations (serial numbers) needed in order to find out when a function was introduced and also about different options.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Unfortunately the parts catalogue isnt of much help in working out where the blocked filter lamp went between serial number 543157 when the filter and lamp were introduced and serial 544392 when the dash was updated to include the lamp.

Theres a technical note and an addendum to the user manual that say the paper suction filter and lamp were introduced from serial 543157, so Im guessing the parts list is wrong or there was some interim housing for the blocked filter lamp????