Adjusting spool valve

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

manxmac

Adjusting spool valve

Post by manxmac » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi
Having got my hedge trimmer lift ram fixed, new seals. I now find that my external spool valve kicks out just about every time I use the main spool block and I have to reset the spool valve handle forward or back from the mid neutral position. There is a sort of "nose" type extension on the spool block which looks as though there there could be an adjustable spring loaded overload valve in there. Is this the case and can they be adjusted?
Thanks in advance.
Manxmac

ALANJ

Re: Adjusting spool valve

Post by ALANJ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 pm

The external valve you refer to is a Cessna double acting unit set to kick into neutral when system pressure exceeds ,from memory, approx 2,000 psi. This avoids system overload on the open centre system caused by blowing off of the main relief valve, the MRV.
The kick out setting can be adjusted by unscrewing the "nose" complete with spool ,then removing the circlip under the nose end cap and carefully stripping the detente mechanism.central to the detente is a small shim adjusted spring which governs the detente action via a piston and three detente balls.Adding shims to the original shim pack will increase the kick out setting to whatever the user requires up to the point where the systems max pressure will result in no kick out.
This adjustment procedure can be done in 30mins but requires a good working knowledge of the Cessna valve .
Hope this helps. AJK.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 am

probably better to just tie the lever back possibly using a bungee strap?

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Steve.
Farmers fix will be my next try if that doesn't work I will have to get my grandson who is built like a racing snake to crawl under the cab and fiddle!!
Manxmac

DB780

Post by DB780 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 pm

You will find it easier to remove the valve completely, it's only those bolts and the lever. If you pull the spool out under the cab and the detent balls fly out you will never find them!