1200 crankshaft concerns

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Goremalloy

1200 crankshaft concerns

Post by Goremalloy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

A recent issue of Classic Tractor (section: Ask the Experts) told of another broken crankshaft (in a 1210), and given that I have a 1200 with 5000 hrs, I got concerned. I have read previously that what threatens them is a very high torque load at low RPM's, for example when climbing a steep hill and lugging down to stalling, or, in my case, when using a brush hog in high 540 PTO @ 1100 RPM under bust of heavy torque at times. Are my actions leading me toward future grief? I am eager to hear from some of the Forum's experts. Thank you.

ALANJ

Re: 1200 crankshaft concerns

Post by ALANJ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:20 pm

The main reason for crankshaft breakage on these tractors is faulty crank regrind procedure. The 3 main bearing crank will flex a little more than a 5 bearing but this flexing us not detrimental to long post regrind service life PROVIDED the fillet radius was machined within tolerance. If I recall correctly between 0.15 " to 0.16". Sadly ,very few machine shops could work to these tolerances with resultant crank breakages and something of a reputation .
Meltham were only too aware of the problem and all engines returned to the factory under service exchange had their cranks sent to British Engines at Newcastle upon Tyne for regrind as they could always work to the said tolerances.Their reground cranks never failed.
Therefore , as your crank has done high hours the inherent tolerances must be good and there is no cause to worry.If,however,at some future date it requires a regrind then ensure your chosen machine shop can work to the same high standards .
Hope this helps AJK.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 pm

There was a known crankshaft problem on early 1210/1212 tractors and Meltham knew about it when one of mine (a 1972 1212 tractor) went. One of my drivers fortunately stopped when he could hear a clicking noise from the engine when he was ploughing. He came and told me and because the tractor was still in warranty it was left in the field and the dealer's lorry came and picked it up. When they stripped the engine the crank was in 2 pieces !

A new crank was put in and that tractor went on to do 7-8,000 hours. I never heard of any crank problems on a 1200.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 am

Nothing to do with DB I know
We had a clicking on a MF Digger 165 based. on advice drove it to the local engineers 3 miles.Next day they rang up and asked me to call in
There she sat in pieces with the crank laying beside her. Whats wrong with that I asked, he said, " lift it" as I did it was obviously in two halves, looking at the ends though you would have thought it had been made that way.
How it had continued without throwing something to bits I do not know

Goremalloy

Post by Goremalloy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:17 am

With all due respect to Scooby, it took some searching but I recalled reading something in the David Brown News about this. Issue #52 Summer of 2009. Engineer John Denton wrote about overcoming early problems with the 219 engine -- broken cranks!
Back to the present, and I am wondering if all of us who run 219 engines are putting them more at risk when running 540 pto @1100 RPM with heavy torque (sometimes as I do on a tedder). That was my question. Thanks.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:59 am

With high torque loadings i would use low on pto and higher motor RVS to get around 540 rpm much easier on the motor and 1200s dont mind higher rvs.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm

I would hardly be concerned about the torque loading of a Tedder. we normally ran the little 780s on the high PTO for that sort of work