Early Cropmaster Oil filter

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

GeoffDEAL

Early Cropmaster Oil filter

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:18 am

After considerable research i found a replacement filter for the short Cropmaster filter it is the same size as original felt filter 105mm -H 64MM-OD 31MM-ID fits one type of Audi car code 06E115562H filter comes in Volkswagen Audi box and while not that common is available from Audi dealers at around $40 NZ and made in Czech Republic purchased one from Archibalds Motors in Christchurch NZ. The lid on early Cropmasters is a hollow concave shape and a recovered non return washer as described in the later type long filters, on top only would make a good fit, be sure to check height and small amount of crush when fitting lid. The original felt filters had a metal disc on top with an o ring on that to seal to lid.

db2d

Re: Early Cropmaster Oil filter

Post by db2d » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 am

The original felt filter is available from this country for 56 NZ dollars including postage!
The cork gasket is £2.50

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm

The "considerable research" has no been taking almost 2 years, the first question about the Cropmasr engine oil filter was made in October 2017. And the correct filter as mentioned by db2d has been available all the time at Davidbrownparts and this has been told several times on this forum. This is also true for the filter for later cropmaster tractors.

baron_beeza

Post by baron_beeza » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:07 am

I think you are talking about a company in England. Down here we are far more accustomed to getting parts in from Asia. With the free shipping offered from China it makes much more economical sense to buy an equivalent part from there.

There would be tens of thousands of David Brown tractors in Australasia and most would be owned by farmers. These guys have the number 8 wire mentality and I would not expect them, or the local garage, to order anything from the UK unless it was really necessary. They are not going to be buying spark plugs, nuts, bolts, filters etc in from Europe. It wouldn't have happened 60 years ago, or twenty or two for that matter.

While we appreciate it is great to have a company that takes an interest in the marque and can supply a wide range of parts it has to be seen that for various reasons their customer base may not span the globe for every small item.

An oil filter is like a light bulb, consumable and anything that fits will do. I am buying LED stop and tail lamps for about £1, a pair, and delivered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Red-1157-BA ... 1438.l2649

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 am

I think that Australia and New Zeeland can buy there stuff from China if that is what they want, even when some parts will not fit without making changes to the existing lay out of the tractor. The rest of the world knows where to get the correct parts from.

baron_beeza

Post by baron_beeza » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Going back to light aircraft and the need for conformity on certified machines. The aircraft must conform to the parts book or some other form of acceptable data, often a mod or approved aftermarket item, a STC in their language. I work on those machines all around the world, Europe, Africa, Asia, the Pacific etc. I cannot recall seeing a 4 or 6 seat aircraft with the factory air cleaner still fitted. The parts book list the manufacturer's part but almost without exception every aircraft I have worked on has an approved alternative. Brackett foam filters would be the most common by far. Oil filters and plugs etc are all generally aftermarket as well.

The use of the term proper part in David Brown lingo, as seen above, may mean the item in the parts book, ie the item fitted at the factory 60 years ago.

Many museums, and presumably some display machines, will obviously want to keep originality as a core requirement.

There may also be owners that are still operating their tractors as working machines, they may have different priorities.
There is no such pressure as conformity with a working tractor, the owner can generally do whatever he wishes in what he chooses to fit. Something like a jetboat has to be one of the ultimates in being able to chop and change.

Many farmers here also have jetboats so I am actually surprised many of these tractors are still complete and relatively unmolested.

As a schoolboy I had an Ariel 1000cc Square Four bike. We literally filed down pistons from a Ford Prefect to run in it.
Often it is a case of running with what you have.
My DB 25 is currently running with the Mitsubishi distributor that I had running in the Cropmaster. When the original Lucas one is repaired and ready it will be a few minute job to drop it back in. I won't be buying Lucas parts in from overseas.
I may fit the $30 electronic ignition kit from China however.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:16 pm

You made your point. You must know better than anyone else. There is no point in trying to give valid information's to someone who knows everything better. And by the way, this discussion is about engine oil filters for David Brown Cropmaster tractors, not aircrafts. And, the word "proper" has nothing to do with David Brown vocabulary, the word means a correct part that will fit without any problems. Good luck and good bye.

baron_beeza

Post by baron_beeza » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 am

I think there is an assumption here that all owners have Internet access, are aware of the company etc.
I am merely pointing out that many of these tractors are being used in environments where there may not be a local dealer, indeed possibly just a local garage that does all manner of machinery repairs.

My father was a mechanic working on bush and sawmill equipment. We are talking remote locations and until the 1960's no regular electrical supply even. In my travels I have seen farm tractors in the outback of Australia, remote Pacific islands, and isolated farms in the boondocks of NZ.
These guys do whatever to get by. They may not know it all but they certainly have enough clues to keep their machinery operating, and for decades.

I realise most reading here may be enthusiasts, Internet savy, etc but you may be surprised to discover that could only cover a small percentage of these machines.

My point with the aircraft was that they are checked annually for conformity, an inspection I do myself on many machines. Very few, if any, are anything like they were when they left the factory. The check is to ensure the physical machine matches the log entries. There are many modifications and improvements incorporated over the years.

I went on to say that I am very surprised to see the comparison with a working tractor when so many are relatively unmolested.
No-one here would intentionally ruin, or otherwise denigrate, classics or antiques as we are dealing with.

That said the tractors I am dealing with come from people that know little about them apart from the manufacturer's name. The guy that had the 1950 Cropmaster thought it was a 25. The bloke that had the DB 25 had no idea what it was, nor the approx age even.

I think it is expecting a bit much for these guys to order parts from the other side of the world given that.
Most owners I know would be very pleased to have the local guy fix it up, cheaply and quickly would be the order of the day.

Regarding oil filters, this topic, I would think maybe 5% or so in these parts would have anything like the original kit fitted.
It is part of the maintenance, change oil and fit a filter. The garage would fit whatever he thought would do the job.

Mike1956

Post by Mike1956 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am

Baron_beeza, which Mitsubishi distributor did you use on the Cropmaster?

baron_beeza

Post by baron_beeza » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

Lucabishi, well actually all Mitsi. Just a block of wood, a piece of pipe, a gutter bolt, and a little water hose (not shown) makes a replacement distributor. Literally a bolt in spare. `It was out of a L300 van but many engines would have similar.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ECBCC8C

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F014D85

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iUkAAOSw ... -l800.webp