Case/David Brown 990 selectamatic mystery part

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

singletree

Case/David Brown 990 selectamatic mystery part

Post by singletree » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Hello, I am working on a late model ( 1979 ) 990 selectamatic Case/David Brown. I needed to remove the hydraulic control valve, therefore it was necessary to remove the ramshaft. When I removed the cover from the , ( looking from behind the tractor ) , right ramshaft bracket. I wiped some of the hydraulic oil out of the bracket compartment. While I was wiping and soaking up the hydraulic oil I found a small brightly finished steel pin, roller, dowel, etc. The dimensions of the piece, measured with a standard English rule is 3/16 ths. inch diameter by 7/16 ths. Inch long. I cannot locate any place for this piece to fit. If anyone recognizes this piece, I would appreciate your help identifying it. I have looked at all of the schematics that I can locate but, I cannot find the piece. Thanks for any information leading to the identification and/or use of it. Steve

1952CROPMASTER

Re: Case/David Brown 990 selectamatic mystery part

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Where the Valve Chest (Control Valve) is bolted to the ramshaft bracket there is two dowels, one bolt & two Nuts used, to secure the Valve Chest to the ramshaft bracket, I'm guessing that may be one of these dowels,

singletree

Post by singletree » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Sir, I was hopeful that you were correct however, the diameter of the ( pin, roller dowel,etc ), that I found is much too small . Thank You for your thoughtful reply. Regards, Steve

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Could you please send a pic ? AJK.

singletree

Post by singletree » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Sir, I cannot post photos .I could email or text them. Thank you. Steve

singletree

Post by singletree » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 pm

AlAN Sir, I went out and measured the casting face/ portion of the control valve where it dowels and bolts to the bracket.. In the location of the dowels that you refer to in your post, the casting is approximately 1/2 inch thick the dowels in the bracket protrude half way through the flange on the control valve. The dowels are chamfered/ beveled slightly , this helps to guide the control block onto them. Also the dowel holes in the control valve , I forgot to measure them , they are probably metric drilling , however I would estimate them to be between 1/4 -- to 5/16 ths in diameter. The small piece that I have found and inquired about is not beveled . It is cut on a clean 90 deg. angle across both ends. Thank You Steve

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am

If you send a secure E address I can send my E address for you to send a pic. With a pic ,all things are possible.we,ll get there. AJK.

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am

Long time since I have been in there but I seem to remember a similar dowel/pin seen from the rear. If you remove the square plate from the right hand rear you will see 2 or 3 controls which are activated by the selector switch in the cab for position, draft and TCU. One of these has a slide with a spring attached, I believe one end of the spring may be retained by the type of pin you describe. The selector switch lever is also attached by a roll pin but this is external.

singletree

Post by singletree » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Manxmac Sir, I am familiar with the spring anchor that you refer to, that is not the part . I have come to the conclusion that the ( part or item ) that I found is "foreign" to the tractors system. I don't know how it could have got placed there, unless at some point in the tractors history this item was placed there when someone was working on the tractor. That is the only explanation that I can come up with. Thanks for your reply. Steve

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Try this.Remove the rear ramshaft cover by unscrewing the 4 Phillips screws .Inspect the sliding bar located under the ramshaft cam.The sliding bar consists of two vertical bars ,one twice as long as the other.They are held together as one assembly by two horizontally mounted pins.
They occasionally do become displaced. Are they dimensionally equal to your rogue pin ?
Here,s hoping, AJK.

singletree

Post by singletree » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 am

ALANJ Sir, The pins that you are referring to are indeed in place . I appreciate your curiosity. I have concluded that the item or part, whatever it is , can not be incorporated into the ramshaft/ lift arm mechanism. Regards, Steve

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 am

Yes, but are the dimensions identical ? If so, it may be that the previous slide bar failed and the displaced individual parts were not found /removed etc.etc.
Also is the said mystery part case hardened ?
Final thought, the sensing cable has a pin on the ramshaft end which fits into the clevis pivot which in turn operates the depth control sliding bar.The dimension of this pin is similar to the found item.To check ,inspect carefully for a hole in the centre where the cable would have originally gone through.Occasionally the pin would detach from the cable and if the repairing fitter was less than careful the pin could be left in the ramshaft housing.
Worth a look. AJK.