885 Fuel Pump Problem-- Black Smoke and Clatter

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

georgeh

885 Fuel Pump Problem-- Black Smoke and Clatter

Post by georgeh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:54 pm

My DB 885 got a case of fungus, and I had the high pressure fuel pump rebuilt. After installing the fuel pump, the tractor would start easy and idle well, but when accelerated, it would clatter a few seconds (like getting too much starter fluid) and eject black smoke. It acts like I'm getting fuel on top of a piston. I replaced the injectors and brass seals. No change. I moved the timing slightly clockwise and counterclockwise. This made it worse. Can an internal adjustment be made in the pump, or is it set? What is my problem?

ALANJ

Re: 885 Fuel Pump Problem-- Black Smoke and Clatter

Post by ALANJ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm

First,check the auto advance cold start screw is not turned in.See if you can rotate it out the half turn which takes it from cold start retard to normal run advance. The symptoms you describe are consistent with cold retard setting.Best of luck.AJK.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Check to make sure the Thermostart isn't leaking fuel into the intake manifold. I had the same symptoms and the TS was my problem.

https://youtu.be/f20OSHahw6E

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Bad running because of a leaking Thermostart valve would usually not be related to engine revs, but the cold start retard screw in the wrong position for running, as alan have told, will.
Last edited by ollek on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

My 885 would clatter, smoke, rev to 2000+ rpm, all kinds of crazy stuff. I noticed one day, after inadvertently leaving the key on, that there was smoke coming from my TS. I unhooked it, and walla, no problems since. I never touched my cold start screw. So, I hate to tell you you're wrong, ollek, but you are.

This may not solve georgeh's problem, but it sure cured mine!

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm

One more time. The OP said: the tractor would start easy and idle well, but when accelerated, it would clatter". This is the symptom you get if the advance screw is left in the cold start retard position. A leaking Thermostart will let in the same amount of fuel into the inlet manifold all the time giving the same bad running on all revs, also on low idle.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 pm

One more time: Mine did the same thing! (did you watch the video?). Idle was fine. (again, watch the video) upon acceleration it would clatter and smoke (watch the video). My problem was the Thermostart. Plain and simple. I'm not saying you're wrong about the cold start screw, that may well be the OP's problem. I'm just telling you FROM MY EXPERIENCE that a TS malfunction is another option to investigate.

Don't know why someone can't have different or additional opinions w/o you having to tell them they're wrong all the time. Your in more prolonged arguments on this site than anyone else. I respect your knowledge concerning DB tractors. My problem is the way you berate and try to beat others down when they have differing/additional opinions/causes for what is happening w/ a tractor. You're cause for mine acting this way was that it had been poorly maintained. Which, I know isn't true.

I've not been to this site for a while and now I remember why.

georgeh, good luck! I hope you find the answer to your problem.

Too-da-loo, DBTC Forum. For the most part, it's been nice knowin' ya!

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

@poppyshan. I wouldnt rush off too quick as your veiws and opinions are welcome to be shared and hopefully of use to some if not all forum members, as is the case with your post above.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

georgeh

Post by georgeh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 am

Thank you so very much, everybody, for your input. We will explore both suggestions. Been busy baling hay and haven't needed that tractor for a few days. I'll keep you posted about the results. I have four David Browns. Love them, but as they age, finding parts becomes more difficult. This forum will be of great use.
georgeh (AKA Mr. Make It Worse)

DB780

Post by DB780 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 am

Something else you could check is the return line blocked between the thermostart header tank and fuel tank. If this is blocked fuel will be pumped into the inlet manifold through the thermostart and this would be at varying amounts depending on engine revs. Having said that chances are ollek is correct with his diagnosis.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 am

PoppyShan wrote that he saw smoke from the thermostart when he parked the tractor and left the ignition on and that he have had no problem after he disconnected the lead at the Thermostart. This indicates that current was fed to the Thermostart, even the pre heat position on the ignition switch was not selected. This will result in opening of the Thermostart valve and igniting the pre heat flame, giving smoke. The fault in this case sounds to be the ignition switch or a short between an other power source and the lead to the Thermostart.

georgeh

Post by georgeh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank you, DB780 and Ollek. I'll let everybody know what I find out. --georgeh, AKA Mr. Make It Worse

georgeh

Post by georgeh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Progress Report: I looked into the cold start screw solution that Ollek suggested. Attempting to turn it, I broke the roll pin. The screw would not budge. Removed the cold start mechanism, placed it in a vise, and used a pair of vise grips. No luck. Soaked it in solvent, and the screw still wouldn't budge. If I cannot free it, how do I get a complete replacement? Do you know if it's available through davidbrownparts.com? Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll keep you posted. georgeh (AKA Mr. Make It Worse)

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:33 am

The cold start screw is a part of the injection pump and is therefor most likely obtainable from a diesel workshop only. One solution would be to take the complete injection pump to a well known diesel shop.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 am

I suggest removing the unit from the pump.
To ascertain if it is open or closed blow through it, if it is in the closed position no air will pass.
Secure the spindle in a vice and use a spanner to lock/unlock as appropriate.
New seal kits specifically for this unit are only available from davidbrownparts.com

These cold start units are unique to DB tractors.