hand crank start 900?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Gard

hand crank start 900?

Post by Gard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm

My DB 900 (later livedrive version) has a sort of cam-hook on the front of the crankshaft and an access hole under the radiator and bottom of front cowl. I made a long wrench with a cross pin at the end for turning over the engine when adjusting the valves. I also made a compression release lever to replace the missing one so turning the engine over by hand was easier than on the newer 990.
Can these engines be started with a hand crank? There is nothing wrong with with the starter or charging system so its currently a matter of curiosity. I did not see anything in the owners manual about a crank as an accessory or about hand crank starting. I don't want to hurt something or myself...

tomryall

Re: hand crank start 900?

Post by tomryall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Most likely you will hurt yourself especially if it is a diesel.
Tom

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 pm

I picked up a 950 livedrive a few months back with the compression release lever on it. My next door Farmer came round and while we were talking said they bought a brand new one exactly the same in 1959 and they used to start it with the hand crank - I understand the kick back could be quite painful. After his father broke his wrist and he broke his forearm the used to start it after that with the key....just saying

rid54

Post by rid54 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:19 pm

It is not going to hurt the engine trying to start it with a hand-crank, but unless done in the right way, it could be a bit dangerous to the operator.

Normally, assuming an electric-ignition engine, one would start by turning the engine with ignition off, a couple of turns. If the engine is cold, the choke should be activated. Leave the engine with the crankshaft in a position when a compression stroke begins, then turn ignition on and make an actual start attempt by pulling the crank sharply. The crank-handle should preferably have such an angle, that the handle (and your hand...) is in the position closest to you at the ignition point (working piston at TDC). As the engine passes the ignition position, and possibly fires up, your hand should let go of the crank handle. Doing it in that manner, will automatically remove your hand from the turning circle of the crank handle. Any "kick-back" will pull the crank handle from your grip, but if the handle swings in a full circle back, your hand/arm will not be there anymore to get hit.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm

thanks for the replies, it is a diesel engine. I have always heard stories of injuries but did not stop to think a diesel could be worse than a gasoline engine. So it sounds like when you crank it, you are only turning the engine about 1/2 of one revolution? I guess I would be surprised if that was enough to start this old diesel. Good thing the button works.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am

A diesel engine will not start using a hand crank. Using the compression release lever will reduce the compression to a level when not enough heat is produced to get the fuel ignited. The half compression is used to help in adjusting the valves and finding the top dead centre when the injection pump is timed. Some of the parts on the tractor is there because the 900 was also produced with a gasoline engine for some countries.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Hand crank start of a petrol engine is performed with just a ½ turn of the crankshaft, in the final, actual starting attempt. The cylinders should first be "primed" by a few complete turns with ingition off, filling them with combustible petrol/air mixture.

Hand crank start of diesel engines is not something I have attempted. There are a few types that are made for this, but they are often one-cylinder designs with huge flywheels (like a Lantz Bulldog sort of engine) and the start procedure is more of an art than anything else.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm

rid54, the discussion is about a DB 900 with diesel engine. There is no need to talk about petrol engines or 1-cylinder Lanz engines.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 pm

The recommend cold starting procedure for the Cropmaster Diesel was to decompress the engine and spin it over until oil pressure was obtained. This procedure was hardly ever carried out. The cranking handle supplied, was intended for maintenance purposes. I have started warm DB engines with the handle just to demonstrate that it is possible but the decompression lever was not utilised.
Turning the engine frantically and dropping the decompression lever is a certain way of obtaining an injury, the compression causes the engine to bounce backwards unless this procedure is performed by an extremely strong person. These engines do not ‘ kick back ‘ in the same way as a petrol version.
It was a sad day for maintenance personnel when the handle was discontinued. A couple of revolutions indicated instantly the cylinder compression etc.

Madders

Post by Madders » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 am

ollek wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm
rid54, the discussion is about a DB 900 with diesel engine. There is no need to talk about petrol engines or 1-cylinder Lanz engines.
This is a forum. It is a place where, not only help and guidance is given, but it can also be a platform for interesting sidelines as was written by rid54. Unless I am mistaken, participants do not have to comply with any agenda that personally suits you. Many times on this Forum you are unnecessarily critical of other member's contributions and are even quite abrasive in some of your remarks. I am sure that admin are quite capable of dealing with any miscreants.
[.................................[/size] Image

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

We used to have IH BTD 6 diesel crawler with a de compressor and a hand crank.
I saw a few brave souls try to start it, never saw one manage it :)
in fact it was one of the worst starters of any tractor I was ever involved with, in winter the trick was to remove the oil bathing make a little bonfire using a rag soaked in diesel, under the air intake.
lovely little tractor to drive though.
We also had a 4 cylinder lister fan which you could get to go, but only with two of you, one on the de compressor and one on the crank