Hydraulic Control Lever Broken

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Colin6224#2

Hydraulic Control Lever Broken

Post by Colin6224#2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am

Hi
I have a 1974 990 with weatherframe cab.
The Hydraulic Control Lever has broken off due to metal fatigue. The break is close to the hub of the lever and can't be fixed so I have a new lever but first I need to remove the old bits.
I have removed the control lever panel.
The lever is held onto the shaft by a pin. This pin would need to be driven through but there isn't space behind. The lever would need to be pulled off the shaft but there doesn't look to be space between it and the gearbox. I am assuming that the casting that includes the handbrake and lowering control needs to come off. Before I start removing bits is there anything to watch out for.
I will need to disconnect the hydraulic linkage on the inside, do I need to secure anything first, it appears to be under tension.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Colin
Aberdeenshire

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Hydraulic Control Lever Broken

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Start spraying it with a product like WD40 to start the loosening process.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:30 am

It would be easier working with the housing off especially if it is well seized. There are three bolts holding it on one tucked away on the outside that's not so easy to get at. You will need to remove the control rod, there is a collar behind the nut and another behind the arm, note the chamfer on the collars goes to the arm. When reassembling you will need a length of wire (I use a 1/16ins gas welding rod about 6ins long with a short right angle bend on one end), you will see a small hole in the control rod, push the spring and a collar along the rod passed the hole. Then insert the right angle bend into the hole, this will hold the spring and collar whilst you re-fit the housing. Once the housing is secured push the inner collar with a large screwdriver to compress the spring and the wire will come out the hole. Then fit the other collar and nyloc nut.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:32 am

Some good and solid instructions given by DB780. After the nyloc nut is fitted, you will need to adjust it so to get the system working correctly. All Selectamatic adjustments can be found in the following link to a page on the David Brown Tractor Club. The page also gives some basic information's about the Selectamatic system, its function and fault finding http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/information ... lic-system

Colin6224#2

Post by Colin6224#2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi
Thanks for the information. I finished reassembly today and it all went well.
Disassembly was helped by knowing there were three bolts to find. The hard to get at one isn't obvious. In my case the control lever was broken so I just too the control panel off which made it easier to get to. Same when I reassembled everything, I found that having the panel off made it possible.
Everything around that area is coated in oily dirt being so close to the hydraulic dump valve and camels hump so it all came apart pretty well. Once I had the casting off and on the bench, I punched the control lever pin out and used a bearing puller to remove the broken spindle from the shaft.
The new control handle is a lot stronger than the original, and pretty good quality but I did have to adjust the bend of the handle in the vice and drill out a couple of holes.
I used the bent wire trick to secure the spring but on the first attempt I couldn't get the wire out, so I had to pull everything out again and refit the wire so that it only just entered the hole in the shaft. That kept the spring in place until everything was reassembled but the wire could still be levered out.
One additional hint I would add for anyone doing this job, source a bolt of the same thread size, but longer than the one used to hold the casting in place. Having a longer bolt means you can see the bolt and align it with the threaded hole to align everything. Otherwise you have to try and align everything by touch which didn't work for me. Once the other two bolts are fitted loosely, you can swap out the long one.

One final comment.
As I had that casting off, I also took the opportunity to replace the brake pawl that holds the handbrake in tension. Easier to do on the bench.
I got the worn pawl out by removing the grease nipple and applying an airline to the hold. Popped out a treat.
The new pawl slid into the hole quite easily simply by using my finger and a screwdriver to guide it.

Thanks for your help Guys.

Colin

DB780

Post by DB780 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:00 am

Hi Colin, It's good you got the job done and the long bolt is a good tip. You mentioned not being able to lever the wire out, you don't lever the wire out when the spring is compressed by pushing on the inner collar it should drop out. But not to worry all is well now.