Beware 1412 exhaust on ebay

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

starider

Beware 1412 exhaust on ebay

Post by starider » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:05 am

Hi, I recently purchased a new exhaust for my 1412 off ebay. It duly arrived and I was quite impressed with the quality and finish. As I usually do,I gave it several extra coats of paint and once dried fitted it to the 1412.Initially I was impressed by the silencing properties but after a few gentle uses of the tractor,I had occasion to use higher revs.at which point the complete exhaust lifted off the manifold and narrowly missed smashing the windscreen.It appears that the baffle/s fitted are not correct as from closer inspection the first crosses the internal chamber directly above the gas flow,which causes the back pressure to lift the exhaust system out of the manifold. I have contacted the supplier, but to date have not received a reply/comment.
There is a solution but I will wait for a reply before publishing my solution.If anyone is considering buying an exhaust,drop me a PM and I'll give the name of the supplier.I won't publish the name until I see if I get a satisfactory reply.........................starider

jazo

Re: Beware 1412 exhaust on ebay

Post by jazo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 am

The turbo won't like that sort of back pressure for to long. I just use a suitable sized bit of pipe and break the washer out from the centre. Shouldn't have to do it on a new pipe though!!
1694 4wd
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Nothing like having to repair a brand new part, original or otherwise. It is good that you are giving the seller time to rectify the issue at his expense not yours. Hopefully you haven't done the 'feedback' yet so you can let others know exactly what the after sales service is like.
Look forward to you having a positive outcome.

starider

Post by starider » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am

Hi,
Still no reply!! I carefully inspected the exhaust on receipt, all seemed in order and as I said, ran the tractor several times and all was OK. Only on revving did it lift off, by which time I had already given good feed back. At the same time I had ordered an exhaust for my Super Major which on closer inspection is constructed in the same way as the 1412, but the Major exhaust is as it should be.
I may have to extend a large drill bit and drill a series of holes in the offending baffle, I'm not sure if knocking loose the baffle with a length of tube might leave a rattle? Comments please.
Are there other folks who are extremely annoyed when you email a company with a question about a product before you buy and never receive any sort of reply. This happens all the time---the business these companies must lose!..........................starider :?:

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 am

G'Day starider,
You still have the right to an answer and I would send one more message to the supplier asking again for a positive reply to resolve your problem or you will be in contact with eBay and make an official complaint which will be escalated to an investigation. Unfortunately I have had to do this a couple of times and providing you have not been insulting or rude eBay will support you all the way to getting a result. I have had product replaced or my money returned and one Seller was banned for their wrong doings and failing to do the right thing with a genuine complaint. So keep your cool and persist but dont sit idle and hope for a reply. Give them a short time limit to respond before making the complaint.
Some Companies here in Oz have websites with a contact us on the page and you do this and never hear from them. So you make the long distance phone call only to be told that they dont read those emails. So I politely let them know what it is I am after and go through all the steps to find out availability and cost and then let them know that they lost the sale due to not answering the emails. Then I send yet another email to the Company titled to the Manager making a complaint and telling them the story. It is amazing how many then do contact you back asking for business.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi if you make a hole in the plate in muffler make one in the center then use a pointed bar --crow bar to enlarge the hole to full size there should be no restriction on a turbo muffler straight through full size, bump the muffler and pointed bar on a block of wood should go through with a bit of effort did it on car mufflers years ago for less restriction and better sound.

starider

Post by starider » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi, thanks for the ideas,have given supplier another chance to reply, but so far nothing,will give them till the weekend and it will be obvious they're not interested and I'll give details on this Forum. I suppose logically the fact they have several to sell, which will almost certainly have the same problem,they are going to try to sell the others and hope for the best!!!.........................starider

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:32 pm

At least report the item to the auction site and also to leave negative feedback. But right now I would again send an email explaning what your intentions are if they do not respond favourably.
Believe it or not I have just done that with an item that arrived damaged. I bought an air horn for our Lorry that carts our tractors and caravan to rallies. Air compressor arrived in pieces. So I made contact and sent a photo and asked what they can do about it.
i was offered a 5% discount which I refused as it would still be no good and I could not buy another compressor for that value, then a 10% discount offered and refused for the same reason. I suggested either a replacement compressor be sent or a complete new item, then I was told no stock in Australia. I then suggested that if it wasn't resolved very soon I would make a complaint against them and leave negative feedback which is somthing they never want to see or hear about. The same day majically a new item was found and sent, or so they say. I will give it a couple of days to arrive and follow up. I we don't encourage them to do the right thing then they will continue to do the same all the time so keep onto them.

starider

Post by starider » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:35 am

Hi,
Have emailed twice,no response at all!! so reluctantly I feel I must name this company[although I have purchased parts from them before with no problems]. They are TYTO Agricultural, Nantwich, Cheshire CW5 8LR. In some ways I can understand their problem which is that they have several of these exhausts in stock[on Ebay] and I suppose the hope is that other folks may not have a problem,but that seems unlikely.
So I'll make a large hole in the baffle as suggested......................starider

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:18 am

Sorry to hear of the negative actions taken by that company. I certainly would make contact with Ebay and make the complaint to them and let them know of the lack of response from that company.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 pm

I also had a problem with this company regarding a pair of Implematic front grills ....that were not. One would fit in the right hand side but was a left hand grill the second was also a left hand grill but was so big it would not fit inside the opening. I would not bother with e mail as I suspect they do not read them regularly, I opened a dispute through E Bay - That did trigger a response. I was asked to provide photographs of the issue and they immediately agreed there was a problem. I did get a replacement set sent out and they were a pair but the fit was still poor. I have since become much more fussy who I deal with and have found a lot of the suppliers, if you deal direct are actually cheaper than advertised on E Bay. Put it down to "Lessons Learned" and be much more fussy where you spend your money in future. I have in the past found that E Bay have been very good at sorting problems like this on the rare occasions that thing have gone South.

Hope that helps. Andy

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:16 am

I too have found that Ebay will follow up complaints and get them sorted, well worth doing. Then do what has been done, name the offenders when it is a legitimate case.

starider

Post by starider » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi, it's not so much lessons learnt, as I said I have dealt with Tyto before and been happy with the items purchased. As with most of this type of company, many of the products are pattern pieces and probably manufactured in countries such as China etc. and are externally just copies of an original exhaust with only a rudimentary concept of baffle design and I would suspect all the exhausts produced in this way would have identical baffle systems.
I would suspect that any DB fitted with this exhaust which didn't have a turbo, would work OK.
I may or may not have"a go" via ebay,the cure is fairly simple and I have far more important thing to do such as finish the bodywork on my Morris 1000 Van,rebuild my mates Ford !00E engine and change the clutch on my Greeves Griffon. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions..........starider :wink:

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Good luck with the long list of projects they all sound great.
Obviously it is a lesson learnt but having traded with them in the past and had been a good experience you would think if there was an issue they too would want it fixed and keep their reputation.