Cropmaster or DB 900 color code in USA

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Gard

Cropmaster or DB 900 color code in USA

Post by Gard » Sat May 11, 2019 10:55 pm

After all the time I have spend on the fenders and battery box cutting, welding sanding and knocking dents out, I decided to try and get the correct color. From the DBTC website the correct color red is Hunting Pink (cherry), the British paint code is BS381C -BS538. It was apparently a lead based paint. I probably should of been more careful about safety when sanding. A search came up with the website www.e-paint.co.uk, under advanced, I picked the range and color, this number comes up with post office red / cherry. You can also see the analysis data based on the average of measurements using various spectrophotometers. None of the local suppliers know how to input these numbers into their mixing machines. The local PPG auto paint supplier can mix a "solid red" that is supposedly the same as post office red but only in their most expensive Delfleet urethane line.

Fortunately the web site also has a list of alternate colors ranked by how close they are. The Australian standard R15 is best but apparently not available in the USA. Close behind is a US federal standard OSHA or DOT "Safety Red". It took several calls but I finally determined the PPG automotive paint code for this is 72639. This is available in a MAE acrylic enamel with hardener. I intend to spray this over a 2 part epoxy primer on the fenders as soon as it warms up enough. It may be a little overkill but I have been happy with this product on other vehicles over the years.

OSHA safety red is also available in a oil based enamel Rustoleum product number K7764. I applied this with a brush to some of the less visible pieces, it is way less expensive than the automotive products. Its OK but next time I think I will use a higher quality brush and try for 2 thinner coats. I did not get around to checking into the possibility of international shipping of paint from davidbrownparts.com.

Following is a photo of the Rustoleum painted parts, I have designed a new seat adjustment and suspension system as the rubber bumpers I have found locally are very stiff. The mini bike shocks were only 10$. I have never seen another red David Brown tractor in person so not sure how close this is. The colors look a little different when outside vs inside on the tractor.
Attachments
KIMG0240_01 (Small).JPG
KIMG0240_01 (Small).JPG (183.06 KiB) Viewed 860 times
KIMG0241 (Small).JPG
KIMG0241 (Small).JPG (117.1 KiB) Viewed 860 times
KIMG0243 (Small).JPG
KIMG0243 (Small).JPG (109.62 KiB) Viewed 860 times
KIMG0244 (Small).JPG
KIMG0244 (Small).JPG (105.59 KiB) Viewed 860 times

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Cropmaster or DB 900 color code in USA

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Nice work with the seat mount and dampening. I too am about to go through this exercise of painting our 30C and have the same issue with paint codes and paint suppliers all being different to one another and it is rare that there is a cross reference to other paint systems. I feel that I will definitely upset some purists and go with a shade of red that I like and quite possibly not Hunting Pink as it looks washed out right from new. I do have a Club member I need to be in contact with as when he painted his D.B. 2Dhe said he used Hunting Pink and had it mixed but it does not look washed out and has a beautiful shine like 2pak paint usually does. At the moment I am away on holidays and as soon as I get back I have to organise a time with the dustless sand blasting to be done and then the proper primer for 2pak paint can go on.
I am hopeful that you can find the colour that works for you and that you are happy with and look forward to your findings. SO far you have done some great research and thanks for sharing.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun May 12, 2019 3:28 pm

try massey ferguson super red,or ford rosso red these are close!

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 am

So we have finally gotten some warm weather, I spray painted the fenders and battery box with the PPG acrylic enamel with hardner. Waited for a overcast day and took some photos with the camera instead of cell phone. I am very pleased with the results, I like the PPG better than the Rustoleum but they are fairly close. These are both supposed to be the US OSHA safety red. I used some auto body filler around the weld joints on the fenders but I did not fill and sand out all the dents and rust pits. The shock absorbers for the seat looked cool but ended up being too stiff. I have gone back to having a coil spring under the back. The hitch control lever is back on the fender. I have been using the tractor for pulling a firewood wagon and log spliter around and it works great for that.
Attachments
P6200388.JPG
P6200388.JPG (100.26 KiB) Viewed 698 times
P6200389.JPG
P6200389.JPG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 698 times
P6200390.JPG
P6200390.JPG (95.83 KiB) Viewed 698 times
KIMG0269 (Small).JPG
KIMG0269 (Small).JPG (191.78 KiB) Viewed 698 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:22 am

900 wheel dishes should be blue. Yellow on later 950 tractors.
Do you have the covers for the battery boxes? They are available.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Nice work gard. I read somewhere that the Massey Fergusson red was close but not the same as Hunting Pink. I now have mine in etch primer and I asked around within our Club about another paint supplier as the local bloke closed his shop. So long story short I rang another guy about 100 kilometers up the road and asked him if he still had the formula from when he mixed up Hunting Pink years ago but he didn't. So I said I will give him a call in a week or so to make sure he was in the shop and I would look at some colour cards. When I rang him back he had good news. His supplier, Hi Chem Paints, found the original formula in acrylic paint and crossed it over to be 2pac for me. He mixed up a tiny amount and I was happy with the colour so now I have 4 litres of colour and when mixed with the hardener makes a total of 6 litres of paint plus your average of 10% thinners so that will be 6.6 litres, more than enough for the job at hand. He was very reluctant to hand over the formula to me as I do like to record the details of things like this but he would not pass it on.
Even if he did it would not be of use to you as it is an Australian paint system and these things usually do not cross reference over to different systems. I have not given up on annoying him enough to get the paint code for what he supplied though and it will come in handy to the members of the David Brown Tractor Club here is Oz. SO ow it's my turn to wait for dry warm weather before squirting some colour around, starting with the rims so they can harden up before having the tyres refitted.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 pm

db2d, thanks for the info on the wheel color, this tractor seems to have a lot of parts from other earlier and later model tractors, so not too surprised if it has 950 wheels. Good news is most everything is in working condition at this point, engine rebuild and clutch are probably next on the list. It did not come battery box or tool box covers so perhaps someday....

cobbadog, From what I could find the Austrailian R15 is close, I have not tried to look up the massey or ford colors. I will attach screen shots from the e-paint.co.up website I mentioned earlier. The post office red has the same UK paint code as the hunting pink. You can also see the spectro numbers for any other paint in their data base. Its surprising to me how much different the colors look on the computer depending on lighting and which camera was used. On my computer the camera on a cloudy day worked better than the cell phone. I did take a sample of my fender to the local auto parts and they checked the sample with their camera and mixed up a small amount, it was not close.

With the epoxy primer and 2 pack paint I use, I have 3 days from spraying the epoxy to top coat. If you wait longer you have to sand (scuff up) everything to get proper adhesion, so I needed a streak of good weather with no other commitments. I am no expert with a spray gun but am happy with the results.
Attachments
paint code.png
paint code.png (180.77 KiB) Viewed 650 times
paint code2.png
paint code2.png (193.72 KiB) Viewed 650 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

You are right about how the same item can look so different just because of the light or pixels. Your pics go from orange to red and I understand why it can be frustrating when trying to show others what you are using. With the colour you screen shot I feel that the post office red/cherry is fairly good.
With your seat suspension you can go back to using just one bike shock absorber instead of two and get a better ride or shorten the spring/s.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:42 pm

In Manitoba Canada I found that Finishmaster Canada Inc . have a Massey Ferguson red code PPG920655 that is a good match for my 1949 Cropmaster.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 am

G'Day tomryall,
did they give that colour a name?

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:55 pm

No name, just Massey Ferguson red ppg 920655.

Gard

Post by Gard » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Cobbadog, If I used one bike shock absorber it would need to be offset to one side to avoid the 3 point hitch top link. I don't think my pivot system is sturdy enough for that. I have measured the single spring and dual shock so I am getting an idea of how strong of a spring or shock I need. I noticed a lot of riding lawn mowers use 2 coil springs in the back. Rebuilding these bike shocks with a shorter spring to eliminate the preload would also help, or as you say cutting them shorter. I will have to think about that one, to come up with a way of safely removing a few coils without disassembling the unit.
Have you looked at the Australian Standard paint code R15, Crimson? The e-paint website says that is a very close match to the BS381C 538 which is the hunting pink or post office red.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 am

No I haven't had a look at that so it will be interesting. Tomorrow I am hoping to start spraying the colour they mixed for me a week ago so it be interesting on how that goes and looks. The first and only glimpse I had of the colour was the sample he made and with that we were happy, so hoping the end mix is good because that is the colour that is going on.
I do like surprises !!! :o