Oil prerssure

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

housebg

Oil prerssure

Post by housebg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Just rebuilt a 885 David Brown and now cannot get any oil pressure or flow even to oil filter. Pulled the tractor to try to get the oil Pressure up and nothing .The tractor was apart when we started .Where is the oil bypass valve could it be stuck. Any one with a oil flow diagram a copy would be helpful.Billy

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Oil prerssure

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 am

On the 30C engine it is on the filter housing. But check that you have not fitted the gaket behind the housing on back to front. Are you getting pressure anywhere?

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 am

The following is a link to the parts catalogue https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 83ar755888 As you can see, the by-pass valve is in the pump cover, not in the filter housing.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:38 am

The filtering system on an 885 is totally different from a 30C. The gasket mentioned does not exist.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am

And the following link shows that there is no separate filter housing on a 885 engine, the filter fits straight into the machined face of the engine block. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1264045

philedge

Post by philedge » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 am

The OP asked where is the bypass valve and as far as I know, as cobbadog said, the bypass valve is in the filter housing, item 22 in the linked parts drawing.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am

The question asked by the OP can be a little bit misleading and the answers are therefor not correct. The pressure relief valve can be stuck, not the filter by pass valve, if there is no oil pressure. The filter by pass valve has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure. The problem is most likely in the pump, feed pipe from the pump to the cylinder block or the pressure relief valve if, as the OP says, no oil is present at the filter. The problem can also be damaged drive gears at the pump or the cam shaft.

housebg

Post by housebg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks to all will start and go from there Billy

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am

Yep, I was aware of the pressure relief valve on the oil pump itself and as I mentioned "On the 30C engine it is on the filter housing". It was also the reason I asked "Are you getting pressure anywhere?" This would then direct you to either the pump or a bypass valve issue.
When I rebuilt my engine there was a gasket between the filter housing and engine block, so I made a new one and put one back. I am not saying that it was original but the gasket if fitted back to front would block one of the galleries.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 am

Talking about a 30C can be very confusing, when the tractor in question is a 885.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 am

No problems here ollek.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm

I had an engine apart a couple of years ago and it wouldn't develop any oil pressure when cranking. The solution was simply that it needed priming by putting oil into the gallery/filter housing (at the pressure switch or blanking plug as I recall) using an oil can. It can happen when an engine is sat for a while in bits and all the oil drains away. Filling the oil pump with Vaseline is a trick which can help them prime.

I would not tow an engine that has no lubrication.