900 front axle surprise

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Gard

900 front axle surprise

Post by Gard » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 pm

You never know what you will find on an old tractor. Here the axle nut has been welded to the stub axle. There is a stack of washers under the nut but still several mm of gap. The roller bearings were OK on this side but shot on the other side. As expected the threads on the stub axle are shot. When I first saw it I thought about re threading to a slightly smaller diameter with the same pitch and building a new custom nut but the axle is about 1/8 inch too big to fit on my lathe. I may cut off the threads, drill and tap a hole then glue in the proper size threaded stud and get a new correct nut.
I may also look for a new or used stub axle.
All the bushings and seals need to be renewed but I was expecting that.
Attachments
PC290204.JPG
PC290204.JPG (100.35 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
PC300219.JPG
PC300219.JPG (100.28 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Post by cobbadog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:07 am

Try sourcing a replacement one first as this will save you a lot of time and the possibility of a failure down the track.
If not cut off the old stub, make a new one out of the correct grade steel and as you mentioned drill and bore it into place with a HT bolt holding it in place, but this is not a safe option at all.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Any interfering in steering parts is not legal, and must note be done.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I had not thought about legality. I was thinking of a 2 inch piece of high strength threaded rod screwed into the end of the stub axle and held with permanent grade locktite. I guess some other smaller bolt or pin to hold it in place would be added insurance? I am thinking there is not a real lot of stress on the threaded section because it is just preloading the axle bearings, the bearings are supported by the larger diameter round section.
This is a later livedrive 900 tractor with 3 piece cast front axle, is it the same stub axle as other Cropmasters? I can see it is a lot different than the fabricated axel on the 990.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi your thought on a new piece of shaft quality steel machined to suit is a good idea, why not remove old axel piece and bore right through stub axel and weld back end to old stub axel, could drill and pin as well if considered necessary. Road tandem trailer axels are just welded to tubes. Years ago it was a regular thing to build up the thread ends on Cropmaster stub axels and machine down and re thread i dont recall any breaking after doing this and were used on regular rough tractor work. cheers Geoff

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:24 am

If a replacement stub is not available the idea of building up the damaged thread and machining it and threading it back to standard is the best idea so far, but it would not be as good as replacing. In our Club a repair like that, they would take away your Club rego as it is not safe.

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:24 am

I do like the idea of building up the damaged thread area with weld and cutting new threads, My lathe is a little too small so I am not sure how I would get it back to round after welding. Have to think about that some more.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 am

Hi never actually seen it done maybe they did it on a mill with rotary table then threaded it, cant see how it could be done in a lathe but total axel could be bored out from behind and new one pressed in and welded at back more secure than trailer stubs that are only spot plug welded in. The firm that used to do the re threading no longer exist so cant check what they did, they also machined off ends of truck hubs and welded on new ends when axels chewed up the drive studs they never failed.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:12 am

It may not be legal in Finland but I have not heard of such strictures here regarding working on axle parts.
Obviously there are safety concerns though.
Years ago MF tractors had a very similar issue on their axles and they actually sold a kit , which threaded over the existing worn thread then you welded it on and a special washer and castle nut went over the top, this was of similar outer dimensions but overbored of course.
I would not be surprised if one of these kits would do this job if they are still available

Gard

Post by Gard » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:23 am

If I had a large enough lathe, I would build up the threaded section with weld, mount the stub axle between centers, turn down the welded area to the correct diameter and rethread it. I have done this type of repair on other parts. I think it would be possible to do it on a milling machine with a boring head, rotary table r a CNC. However I think a lathe is more straightforward.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 am

An engineering shop would not charge too much to do the machining work if your lathe is too small.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am

cobbadog wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 am
An engineering shop would not charge too much to do the machining work if your lathe is too small.
Depends where you are! I know a couple of places locally, the one that's any good were charging £50 per hour a while ago and I'm sure it's increased since then. And they're not greedy, various running costs, wages etc are a lot higher than people realise. Not everyone has access to cheap machining.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:34 am

I'm spoilt for choices around here. there are full engineering workshops in town but around the district are a few home guys who do the same work. All are qualified and work from home and with no overheads are far better on their prices and better for cash.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 pm

I decided to try welding and thought I would post some photos even tho this is a tractor forum and not machine shop forum. I ground off the old threads and added weld to one side then re-drilled the cross holes thru the weld and repeated on the other side. Built some fixtures to mount on the milling machine, I used a end mill to get close to 3/4 inch then used a boring head to get final diameter. Brittishfastner.com has BSF castle nuts in the USA so I used a die to form the threads. I am happy with how it turned out. It took me a couple of days.
Attachments
P1060316.JPG
P1060316.JPG (103.82 KiB) Viewed 898 times
P1060322.JPG
P1060322.JPG (100.85 KiB) Viewed 898 times
P1060324.JPG
P1060324.JPG (100.1 KiB) Viewed 898 times
P1060325.JPG
P1060325.JPG (100.95 KiB) Viewed 898 times
P1070327.JPG
P1070327.JPG (102.24 KiB) Viewed 898 times
P1070328.JPG