Are These DB Tools?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

txtractorguy

Are These DB Tools?

Post by txtractorguy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:40 am

While cleaning up the shop recently, I came across these. The one on the far left looks very much like item #7 from the DB885 parts list, but the only marking on it is *TR-3A*. Anyone able to help identify? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1037.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1037.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.09 KiB) Viewed 296 times

Scooby

Re: Are These DB Tools?

Post by Scooby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:15 am

No one is answering you so I will tell you that the one on the left in your photo. is part of the DB wheel spanner set which came as part of the tool set when you bought a new DB. No. 8 in the diagram is the other half of the set and is what we call a Tommy bar. The spanner has a socket at both ends, one end fits the nuts on the front wheels of a 2wd, the other end fits the rear wheel nuts and you used No. 8 to turn the spanner. I don't know what the other two items are but one is obviously a Tommy bar with a socket on the end and the one in the middle of your photo. looks to have a socket at one end and a ring at the other end for a Tommy bar. Hope that helps.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am

could the T shaped tool be the bonnet catch release tool for the DB 1210 bonnet catches

txtractorguy

Post by txtractorguy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks Scooby for the reply. I'm amazed what I find down on the farm at times. Just last week I found an original DB fender turn signal. Our 885 hasn't had the fender turn signals/lights on it since probably 1985, or before. My dad must have taken it off 33+ years ago and set it aside. I also found an original Lucas ignition switch, but I'm assuming it doesn't work since it was in a cabinet. Again, my dad must have taken it off decades ago and just saved it. My dad didn't throw anything away. It's just crazy some of the stuff I find.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm

manxmac wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am
could the T shaped tool be the bonnet catch release tool for the DB 1210 bonnet catches
Yes, that's what it was for.
ImageImage

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am

The 'Tommy' bar is an easy replacement. buy a length of bright steel the correct diameter to suit the holes in the wheel brace and it is complete.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:18 am

We obviously have no idea of the scale of the tools in the photo. The original double ended spanner was about 18" but the one thing I worry about it does appear in the photo that the hole is hexagonal, when all those I have seen were round. However possibly earlier ones were hexagonal

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:20 am

cobbadog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am
The 'Tommy' bar is an easy replacement. buy a length of bright steel the correct diameter to suit the holes in the wheel brace and it is complete.
I just wonder if it's as easy as that cobbadog ? I am no expert on types of steel but sometimes I have needed to resort to putting a length of tubing on the Tommy bar for a bit more "persuasion" and I've never bent one yet. Could it have been a high carbon steel or something like that ?
ImageImage

txtractorguy

Post by txtractorguy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Indeed, the two openings on the double spanner on the far left are hexagons. The shaft of the tool on the far right has a hexagon cross section and fits into the openings of the double spanner so I had assumed they went together. I'll try to get a measurement on these at some point, but from what I recall, the double spanner is around 18 inches in length. These three tools were scattered in different places down on the farm when I found them.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Changed my opinion. I hadn't been able to see the hexagons in the spanner on the left but when I downloaded your photo. and blew it up I can see that the holes are indeed hexagonal in shape as you mentioned. The DB wheel spanners that I have known all had round holes, as shown in the diagram that is shown below the photo. Unless they are from an earlier era I don't think any of those spanners were ever part of the DB tool kit but I stand to be corrected.
ImageImage

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:57 am

We have always used bright steel for wheel braces and all kinds of jacks for lifting railway tracks, forklifts and 4wd vehicles with no indication of bending even with a lump of pipe on it for that extra help.