Front tyres for loader

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Lofty

Front tyres for loader

Post by Lofty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am

Hi all. I'm putting a loader on my 885. My front tyres are worn and cracked and I'd like to replace them. I did some guesstimations of static weights and came up with 1745 kg on the front axle with a bucket of dirt. Does that sound realistic or have I fluffed something? If I'm right I need tyres with a load rating around 870 kg, and I'm not finding anything close to that in 6.00-16 in online catalogues. What are other people using in this size on their loader tractors?

SteveCollett

Re: Front tyres for loader

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 am

Think we used to just fit 6 ply on loader tractors .
before you do it I would just check on your wheel bearings too. They take a lot of stick with a loader, the same can be said about the bushes on the axle

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:16 am

A front loader is not only overloading the tyres but also rims and axle beams. The only way to reduce the load and minimise possible damages is to use a counter weight at the back of the tractor. The weight can be from 500 to 800 kg, ore even more, on a 885 and you can couple it up to the lower links. This is also the only way to keep the rear wheels on the ground when lifting something heavy. The load a tyre can carry is dependent on the PLY rating, tyre pressure and the driving speed. Driving slowly makes it possible to load the tyre much more than if you are travelling on the road. Please ask your tyre shop for more information's.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 am

when running a front end loader it certainly is good practise to also have a counter balance. As explained the complete front end can be overloaded by not doing so. Id you can get 8ply tyres it would be better again. A simple counter balance can be made and attached to the 3pt linkage

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 am

Thanks guys, I’ve already rebuilt my trunnion, and will certainly look at the wheel bearings. Are worn king pins tolerable?

A counterweight is also on the to-do list, though mostly I expect to have my rear blade on for spreading so I’ll have to ballast that as well.

What Ollek says about tyre ratings and speed makes sense. I’m waiting to hear back from the kid at the tyre shop who had to go and ask someone. That was yesterday. :roll:

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 am

one thing to consider is that it is always preferable to take off the loader when it is not needed. This will prevent a lot of undue wear, it is a bit of a pain though! This tractor is considered a lightweight machine and as such the front axle was not made for heavy continuous work. keep an eye on the bearings!

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks Steve. I plan on leaving it off when not needed. One advantage of the old AL2 trip loader is that it's easy to remove - no hoses, just 4 pins. But I've read on other forums people find their loaders so handy they never come off, so we'll see.

Regarding tyres, I've noticed it's common to see pictures of old loader tractors with non-tractor tyres on the front. More like truck style. I wonder if this is an attempt to either gain load capacity or just spread the load over a wider area than the traditional ribbed style. Could be just using what was lying around I guess.

Anyway, I came across this implement tyre: https://bigtyre.com.au/store/tyres/P1263/ It's only 6 ply but has a better load rating that the 8 ply ribbed ones I've found. Any reason not to put this on the front of a tractor? Looks kinda cool too 8)

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 am

Tyres was never changed in those days when a loader was fitted to a new tractor as long as the tractor was used in normal farm work. The only thing done was the tyre pressure inflated to maximum allowed for that tyre. Industrial use is a different story, but this also involves a completely different loader and a heavier front axle, amongst other differences.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Lofty wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am
Anyway, I came across this implement tyre: https://bigtyre.com.au/store/tyres/P1263/ It's only 6 ply but has a better load rating that the 8 ply ribbed ones I've found. Any reason not to put this on the front of a tractor? Looks kinda cool too 8)
That tyre won't be as responsive with regards to steering as a normal agricultural front tyre would be when carrying out normal field work. The normal ribbed tractor tyres grip the ground better. I have seen people put old Land Rover 600-16 tyres on the front of tractors and they are not as responsive as the ribbed ones. You could fit 7-50-16 tyres on the rims as long as they clear the king pin housings.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Ollek, regarding the use of a counterweight on the 3-point; Is there a safe amount of counter balance that can be left hanging on the raised position lock while using a loader? Or is it better to not lock it at all while working the tractor (with a loader)?

As an aside... a while back I asked about the poor feedback to the steering wheel on my 885 with power steering. Once the loader was re-installed, all was well. I guess toting an implement on the 3-point and fully aired-up front tires, the too-light sense of feel is normal.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Do not use the mechanical max height lock with any heavy implement when the tractor is moving. The lock is a safety device that makes it safer to work under a implement when the tractor is stationary and the engine switched off. Set the selector switch to "height" control, as the hydraulics will the automatically correct the position of the lower links if there is any leak that makes the links lower. Your tractor has hydrostatic steering and this means that you ´have to turn the steering wheel in order to get the front wheels to the centre position after a turn. Av fully hydraulic steering locks the oil into the cylinder and this is not "poor feedback", it is a normal operation feature.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 pm

ollek wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Do not use the mechanical max height lock with any heavy implement when the tractor is moving. The lock is a safety device that makes it safer to work under a implement when the tractor is stationary and the engine switched off.
I absolutely disagree with the above. I always used the lift latch (as it was called) if travelling along the road. I was once in the middle of a town and the timing gears went on a 990 and I had a reversible plough on the linkage. The plough would have probably been on the floor before I managed to tow it back to the workshop.

And NEVER, EVER work under an implement just because it's up on the latch. You hit something with a sledgehammer and there is a chance, admittedly a very very slim chance, that the latch could let go. I never work under anything unless the actual thing I am working on is propped. Loaders, digger buckets, I don't care what it is. PROP IT !!!
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Quoting from the operating manuals - A sliding bolt or latch is provided to lock the lift in the raised position when the engine is stopped, or for use with drawbars,etc. The sliding bolt or latch should not be used to support a heavy implement while the tractor is in motion.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 pm

To lock the 3 point with a weight on the back, just close the 3 way valve for the links or flip the lever to position 1 or 2. This will lock the lift ram unless youve got a leak. If your loader oil supply comes via the 3 way valve youll have to do this anyway to get the loader working. If you are using a lever operated 3 way valve just be careful when you flip the lever back to the L position as the links and weight could drop or raise suddenly depending on the position of the quadrant lever/service selector!
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 am

I have seen several breakages of the lift cylinder rear housing after a tractor has been driving on rough ground with a heavy implement in the linkage and the lift latch engaged. The lift latch is NOT designed to be used when driving with heavy implements. DO NOT use the latch if you want to save the tractor from mechanical failures. I can agree about not to work under a implement with the lift latch engaged, it can definitely be dangerous. Please ignore my earlier posting on this subject.