David Brown 885 gauge overheating

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dundeemike

David Brown 885 gauge overheating

Post by dundeemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi

Hopefully someone can provide some guidance on water temperature problems with DB 885. When the tractor has been operating, the gauge would jump from cold to hot and also sometimes jump about from cold to hot and vice versa, eratic changes.

To date I have added a new thermostat, sender and also a brand new radiator. Pump is also working and new belts fitted. I thought all was fine but then today again it jumped into the red when using. I have fully flushed the cooling system once new radiator fitted.

Manifold above thermostat into the radiator top hose is warm but radiator is cool to the touch

I am assuming that the last culprit may be the guage?

Any advice

Cheers

Michael

Lofty

Re: David Brown 885 gauge overheating

Post by Lofty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:41 pm

I would have said the gauge or wiring were the first suspects, with erratic readings like that. A big lump of engine can’t change temperature that quickly.

dundeemike

Post by dundeemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks

I will look at ordering new guage

Cheers

Michael

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 am

Check the lead between the gauge and the temperature sender, before you obtain a new gauge. The gauge will show max temp if the lead gets in contact with the tractor frame.

starider

Post by starider » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:05 pm

I agree,there is a strong possibility that the lead from the sender to the gauge is earthing out somewhere.Suggest removing the sender wire from the gauge and fitting a temporary new wire from the sender to the gauge as a test[it doesn't have to be installed through the wiring harness route until proven one way or the other]..........starider
Last edited by starider on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dundeemike

Post by dundeemike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks for the advice, bit of a novice so what type wire (amps) would be required?

Cheers Mike

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 pm

14 gauge or 16 gauge will work.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 pm

Almost certain to be an electrical problem.

The wire does not need to be thick as there's next to nothing going through it.

starider

Post by starider » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi,any "old" length of vehicle wiring will do as it's an earth return.Once proven either way you can[if necessary] use similar wire to the other earthing wire,usually black covered...................starider :wink: