David Brown 1390 Hydraulic Pump

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

rhrwilliams

David Brown 1390 Hydraulic Pump

Post by rhrwilliams » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi all.

I have had some problems with my hydraulics and I think the pump is basically knackered. I tore the hydraulic suction hose off on a tree trunk and had to replace it. After this the hydraulics work but are very weak (will not lift a heavy implement). Ive changed all the filters, suction and high pressure filters and changed fluid. No difference. Ive also checked all the hoses are tight and don't leak etc.

I am going to buy the new hydraulic pump and fit it.....but can someone help me with the following;

I assume I need to drain the radiator and remove etc to get to it. Do I have to drain the hydraulics or if I park it facing up a hill is the pump high enough to not need fluids draining ?

Do I need any other parts other than the pump ? Seals etc or O rings ?

Ive never changed a pump before so any tips would be welcomed.

Thanks

Richard

philedge

Re: David Brown 1390 Hydraulic Pump

Post by philedge » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 am

Unless you introduced a load of dirt when replacing the hose, its unlikely the pump went faulty at the same time. Its more likely that you have air trapped somewhere or lost a load of oil when the pipe got torn off. I dont know how your hydraulics are set up to advise on bleeding, but I would double check there is enogh clean oil in the system, any filters are clear and theres no trapped air before shelling out on a pump.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

rhrwilliams

Post by rhrwilliams » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for the reply.

The hydraulic do work, they are just weak. Ive been using a 9 foot mower and it lifts it about half way, all the way up on a good day if you rev the nuts off it.

Ive bled the system by slackening off the pipe under the cab door coming from the pump, and at the high pressure filter. There is definitely new oil in it at the correct level. I don't really know what else to check. ive been faffing with this for weeks.

If anyone has any other suggestions before I buy a pump then , that would be great.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Remove the cover, ref 6 in the following link. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 8ar1303020 Pull the main hydraulic lever fully back in the quadrant and keep it there. Start the engine and look inside the ram shaft bracket. You should se a minor (if any) oil stream in the cavity. The by pass valve is leaking and needs to be cleaned if there is a lot of oil moving around. Do not run the engine at high revs as this can make the oil flood and thereby getting out from the cavity, this is if the by pass valve is leaking. Stop the engine before you let go of the hydraulic lever.

rhrwilliams

Post by rhrwilliams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi, I did as you said and checked the cavity and there was a little bit of oil in the base but non leaking. Looked well greased and in good order.

Any other suggestions before I buy a hydraulic pump ?

Thanks

Richard

rhrwilliams

Post by rhrwilliams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 506 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

I asked you to check if there is a flow of oil in the cavity, not if there is any oil. What will happen to the oil level if you increase the engine rews with the main control lever fully back? If the oil level does not rise, then the by pass valve is closed and the most likely reason for the low pressure is a worn out pump. The grease is coming from over greasing of the right hand side cross shaft bearing, and this has nothing to do with the pressure problem

rhrwilliams

Post by rhrwilliams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Sorry, no there was no flow of oil in the cavity . I ran the engine when I inspected as you advised.

So I guess its a new pump then !

Thanks for your help

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 am

The hydraulic control leaver must be in the lower position when re starting after distrubing the hyd system or it can be difficult to get air out of the system, some times starting on a down ward slope can help get the pump started.