1490 Grinding Noise on PTO Engagement

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 19/09/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

613pringles

1490 Grinding Noise on PTO Engagement

Post by 613pringles » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I have owned my 1490 for about 8 years and ever since I have owned it, it has always made a gear grinding noise when I engage the PTO. I know this has been happening for years for previous owners because I had the PTO shaft cover off to replace a seal the I noticed the face of the small gear that engages is worn from this grinding. The PTO clutch seems to work correctly and is properly adjusted as per the shop manual. If I slowly engage the PTO I can feel another gear spinning. Once engaged that gear is obviously not spinning anymore and if I disengage again that gear does not start spinning again. Does anyone know how to stop that gear from spinning so that I can engage the PTO without that grinding noise. I have been stopping the tractor and putting the PTO in gear and then starting it again to avoid this gear clash but its a bit of a pain to do this all the time.

Thanks.

ollek

Re: 1490 Grinding Noise on PTO Engagement

Post by ollek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Try to take the engine revs down to low idle, depress the transmission clutch pedal fully down, disengage the pto with the pto clutch lever and let the tractor stop before you engage the pto. And then if you need to stop the PTO shaft for a short time, lets say when turning at the headland, do not disengage the pto mechanically. The only thing you have to do in this case is to disengage the pto clutch for the time it takes to turn the tractor.

Jean-Paul Gagnon

Post by Jean-Paul Gagnon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Try this simple thing release the PTO clutch if the tractor is equipped with only a transmission pump acting to lift hydraulic three point or external oïl supply act like brake on the PTO.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am

A 1490 is equipped with a front pump, there is no pump inside the pto housing. And Jean-Paul Cagnon, I can not understand what you want to say with your comment as the pto clutch has to be released before the pto drive is connected, regardless of where the hydraulic pump is. Trying to connect the pto by the on/off lever without disconnecting the clutch will surly damage the pto gears. Anyone doing so, have not understood the correct operating sequence of the pto in a David Brown tractor. You do not have to stop the engine, just stop tractor when you perform the sequence I explained earlier. .

613pringles

Post by 613pringles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I have tried to do that already. To be clear I stopped the tractor. Took it out of gear, kept the transmission clutch depressed. Pulled the PTO clutch lever and slowly started to engage the PTO lever. The engine was at minimum normal idle speed when doing this. It always comes up against a spinning gear. I can feel it and it grinds. Once I stop it by putting pressure on it with the PTO lever it stays stopped when I take the PTO out of gear again with the PTO level. I can feel it slightly turning again but so slowly it does not grind after that. I don't know if fluid it coupling it enough to turn it. I have even tried to wait to see if it would slow down on it's own but it doesn't seem to but I didn't wait that long since I don't like having the PTO clutch handle pulled as I believe I read a warning somewhere about having it pulled for too long. Thanks for the replies.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 am

Do not put the transmission gear lever in neutral as this will remove most of the load from the clutch driveshaft, and the shaft can rotate easily coming from a drag from the transmission clutch. Do not engage the pto gear slowly but move the lever in a firm manner. If this does not help, then you are having problems with the clutch. Can be a small amount oil on the plates. A drag can be checked by looking at the pto output shaft when both clutches are disengaged. The shaft will not rotate if there is no drag from the clutches.

jazo

Post by jazo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 am

Hi. I have always had the same issue on my 1394. I think it possibly has oil residue and maybe the spline might be dry causing it to stick?
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2