Reduction oil

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

John

Reduction oil

Post by John » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 am

How much oil would I need for the reductions on my 990

ollek

Re: Reduction oil

Post by ollek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

Instructions and details concerning service and use of the tractor is clearly stated in the Operators Manual.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 am

2.3litres each side. SAE 140. Obtainable from davidbrownparts.com

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

Been told EP 140
What is the difference between EP 140 and SAE 140
WHICH IS RIGHT

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am

E P - Extreme Pressure. Basically EP oils have additives added for high pressures, usually sulphurs and phosphorus. These additives can damage yellow metals. Use straight SAE 140.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am

The figure 140 relates to the viscosity (thickness) of the oil and EP is, as db2d said, Extreme Pressure oils. The SAE classification (viscosity) for transmission oils are SAE 75, SAE 80, SAE 85, SAE 90 SAE 140 and SAE 220. Bigger number donates s thicker oil. A EP oil have a GL 5 specification, and the oil to use in the wheel reductions are GL 4 classified. And please, use only mineral oils, synthetic or semi- synthetic oils are not recommended to be used in any application in a David Brown tractor. As said, use SAE 140, GL 4 in the wheel reductions.

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am

Thank you

philedge

Post by philedge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:10 am

If youre buying, get 5 litres. If your filling then fill to the level plugs on the back of the reductions. While youre in there, check the vents at the top rear are clear.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 am

The air vent on our 30C is at the top facing rearwards and is a hole through the length of the bolt. both of mine were blocked solid and cleaned them out using a drill bit and I simply twisted it by hand as it went in and pulled the dirt out. I suggest that while you are there also check the holes at the bottom of the brake drum area. They too get blocked and if they are opened up you can see if you have an oil leak into the brake area and can be fixed before damage to the linings occurs.