Adding external hydraulics to a Selectamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Lofty

Adding external hydraulics to a Selectamatic

Post by Lofty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm

I would like to add a top & tilt kit to my 885, but would like options for other things in future, like maybe a loader or a ditch mower. My tractor has no live take-off valve. My wrecker has offered me the modified cover plate pictured, calling it a power-beyond plate and saying I can supply whatever I want from that, with the addition of aftermarket spool valves. Is this a good option? If so could I simply tap into my existing cover plate? He said he welds them, which worries me. I wouldn't trust _my_ welds at a couple of thousand psi. :oops:

So if I did that, and fitted double-acting spools for the T&T, and I then fitted a loader I would need a way to divert those valves to the loader cylinders. Presumably there's a way to do that without swapping hoses around?

A DB twin take-off valve just sold for $630 on Canadian ebay, which is a bit rich, but if I could find an affordable one is there any advantage over aftermarket spools?
Attachments
IMG_6702.jpg
IMG_6702.jpg (173.11 KiB) Viewed 247 times

ollek

Re: Adding external hydraulics to a Selectamatic

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:01 pm

You can fit as many after market external spool valves you need if you connect the oil supply and return to the power beyond plate. The existing cover plate is called connector plate and you need to remove the connector plate and fit the power beyond plate in the same location. The connectors house with red caps are fitted to the rear and the oil flow from the pump is coming into the centre outlet. This is the inlet port to the external spool valves. The return oil from the spool valve is connected to the rear most port. A original double acting spool valve is bolted to the top of the rear axle. The valve needs a original base plate to be fitted in stead of the camels hump and the original spool valve are them stacked on top of the base plate. You can stack a maximum of 3 original double acting valves on top of the base plate. Please see the following links for the piping and the connector plate https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 6ar1289500 The following is a link to the original double acting spool valves https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 6ar1292279

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 am

Hi Lofty;
You said a DB Stack valve sold for $630.00 Canadian on E-Bay, i have one, complete with base plate that i would sell for $300.00 & if you needed the Power-Beyond-Pate for the top of the Stack Valve it would be $80.00 extra.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks Ollek for the explanation. I think I get it now. And thanks Cropmaster. Have sent you a PM.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 am

I just need to clarify something. I've been told that when using an original take-off valve the rear lift needs to be fully up. The manual discusses latching the lever back when using the 3 way valve, but not the live take-off valve. And it doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it the point of the LTV to be independent? So I think my informant is confused.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:07 am

I have the original take off vale on 2 885's a 990 a 1212 a 1210 and all work with the arms up or down it does not matter,

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:24 am

The person who have told you that the rear lift has to be fully op for the original spool valve(s) to work, do not understand how the Selectanatic system works. Pressure from the original take off valve is available in any position for the 3-point hitch and you can use the 3-point hitch and the spool valve just by moving different levers. Constant pressure from the 3-way valve is obtained only when the main control lever is fully back. You can set the 3-point hitch at any height before you switch over the 3-way valve, select TCU/external and lock the main control lever fully back. You can not use the 3-point hitch before you switch the 3-way valve to position L, select height control and unlock the main control lever. Using a power beyond plate will make the 3-point hitch and the external valves work in the same manner than for the original spool valve. The benefit in using a power beyond plate, is that you can fit as many spool valves you want. You will have to understand that you can use only one function at the time, as your tractor has only one pump and there is no divider valve in a Selectamatic system. Move the lever for the function you need to operate, and when you need to operate an other function , move the lever used to the neutral position and move the lever for the new function you need to operate.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:02 am

Just as I thought. Thanks Tommyrall and Ollek.

I'm favoring aftermarket spools, due to being half the cost. I'd like to try and mount them under the seat, very close to the PB plate, but I don't know if that's realistic. Has anyone done that? Did you / can you take a photo?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:16 am

Do not attempt to mount the spool valves in a too confined space. You will need more space than what you think in order to get all the connectors and hoses fitted. Levers and hoses must not get in touch with any operating levers or prevent the levers from being operated. Hoses that withstand the hydraulic output and pressure are quite big and stiff, they will not bend in any shape and the bends must not be sharp. I would not try to fit the valves under the seat or between the seat and the power beyond plate.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am

There you go Ollek, spoiling my fun again :)
OK, has anyone got advice or pictures of the least ugly / most ergonomic way to fit valves to these tractors?

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 am

First of all, try to clarify all the operations you need to perform with the spool valves. When this is clear, get in contact with a company selling hydraulic valves and tell the them use of the valves. Also tell them the pressure the valve has to withstand and what the flow from the pump is. Also specify if you need double acting functions, double acting with float functions and/or single acting functions. All this will give you a possibility to obtain the valves you need and then you can try to find a place to fit the valves.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 am

Hi Lofty,
I have used Pirtek up here for some of the bits I've needed on other projects. At least they are respectable with their prices too up here.