885 Engine Issues

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Gummy100

885 Engine Issues

Post by Gummy100 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi

Ive read a few 885 issues recently and I have one of my own. My 885 was being used on the rotavator recently where it died whilst in use. I checked it out to find my oil level low and no coolant present. Topped both up and found oil in the water, which I suspect is the head gasket? Coolant isn’t pressurised, doesn’t seem to be going down the overflow or out the cap.

I’m also loosing oil from around the back of the engine, not sure where as it’s everywhere, think it’s from the rear flywheel seal but need to clean it off and check again.

I’ve checked the rocker valve and that’s not showing signs of water in the oil, no pressure there or from the filler cap. I’ve also drained some out the sump and let it settle and that’s not showing signs of water in the oil.

So I’m wondering what issues I have. It’s not making sense. Could I have a cracked block? Where is the water going to be bone dry? I’d expect to see this in the oil?

Thanks Dan

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: 885 Engine Issues

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 am

Doesn't sound good but might not be as bad as first thought. Water maybe leaking out a welsh plug and why it isn't in the sump. Oil leak at the rear most probably will be rear main oil seal but to have seized because of either high temps or lack of lubrication is not good. Bearings could have grabbed because of both issues and then as it cooled released, and though you can turn the engine over there is a very high possibility of an engine rebuild required. You can choose on what to do. Top up the fluids and have another try. Get it to running temps and have a real close look for water leaks on the outside and fix those and just maybe you will get a bit more life out of it. If the tractor is a working tractor and you rely on it I would strip and rebuild. That way everything is in good working order and providing you constantly check your fluids it will last a long time.

It is good practice to check your fluids before start up on anything so try to make it a GOOD habit to have.

Gummy100

Post by Gummy100 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. It’s still running, don’t think it seized but it’s defiantly got hot and as you say and that’s not good! I guess it overheating has blown the main oil seal.

I’m gonna strip it and check head gasket out but wanted some tips before I do. I’ll probably clean it down, fill it up and check for leaks before i strip it so I’m confident what needs doing. I can’t understand where the coolants going as it was empty...

Might as well do it once and fix it properly as it’s only likely to break when you need it most!! I’m probably going to do the clutch too?

Thanks

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

What you are calling "rear flywheel seal" and later "main oil seal" is most likely the crankshaft rear oil seal. This seal will not get damaged if the engine temperature is high (boiling), but it will if the crankshaft rear main bearing is seizing up, as this will create very high temperatures at the rear of the crank shaft. Remove the cylinder head and the oil sump and check the cylinders and the bearings. Running a engine without coolant will indeed make the pistons seize up and can therefor lead to damage of the cylinders, cylinder head gasket and other parts of the engine.

Gummy100

Post by Gummy100 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Will do thanks both. I’m going to have a go this weekend and see what I can find.

So if the crank shaft oil seal won’t go with overheating then it’s probably something different, as this all happened within a day of each other.

I’ll clean it off and check it out and report back!

Thanks again

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:01 pm

To get to the crankshaft you need to split the tractor as for a clutch repair and remove the flywheel. The leaking oil will end up in the clutch department and drip out from the opening in the bottom of the flywheel housing.

Gard

Post by Gard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Not sure how much it applies here but on cars or motorcycles it can sometimes be hard to spot a small coolant leak. It does not leak until the pressure builds up and at that point the fluid is hot so it can come out as more like a mist or vapor that is hard to see. One option is to pressure test the system when cold. The kit is often a modified radiator cap with pressure source and gauge. I am always careful not to exceed the pressure relief setting of the cap, don't want to damage something with the test. Anyway this lets you look for a leak at your leisure without having to worry about hot fluids and spinning fan blades.
If your tractor is cleaner than mine you may see a residue someplace where the fluid has escaped and evaporated.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 am

Yes a 8lb - 10lb of pressure in the system will not hurt and should show any leaks unless the leak only happens when at running temps because the metal needed to expand. As you suggest there should be traces of coolant stain somewhere and if not it may be going into the cylinder on top of the piston. The only way to confirm that is to remove an injector and see if it is nice and clean from being steam cleaned or poking a camera down the opening. thoroughly check all the hoses and clamps for a drip or spray as a hose maybe a bit old and perished and leaking.

Gummy100

Post by Gummy100 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Ok thanks a chaps. I have plenty to check / test, I’ll get onto it soon. Been too busy this weekend to get a look in. Need to ASAP though as it’s nearly hay season and the Nag will want it cut soon! 😜

Thanks

Gummy100

Post by Gummy100 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Started stripping the tractor, loader is off etc. I have the secura cab. Will I need to take the cab off to do the rear main oil seal? Or can I split the tractor with the cab left on?

Thanks

Dan

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 pm

You can split the tractor with the cab in place. Take out the cab front is mount bolts and lift the front of the cab two inches. Then place a pica of wood between the cab floor and the front part of the gear box cover and lower the cab to rest on the wood (2" x 4"). There is a bolted on lid in the front part of the cab floor. Remove this lid and you will get to the top bolts for the clutch housing.

Gummy100

Post by Gummy100 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks Ollek!