Engine number designations

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

philedge

Engine number designations

Post by philedge » Sat May 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Following on from a thread discussing the meaning of the prefix/suffix in engine numbers, I 've started this thread where hopefully those with info on engine numbers can share it. It may even get compiled into a list showing the meanings!

First off is my 1966 880 selectamatic with engine number AD3/55A which breaks down as follows-
A- Agricultural
D- Diesel
3- 3 cylinder
55- approx capacity in cubic inches of ONE cylinder
A- Live drive(I think!!)

Please add what you can or correct anything posted that you know to be incorrect
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

GeoffDEAL

Re: Engine number designations

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sat May 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi the CAK refered to previously should be an engine that can run with kerosene in the parts book it shows slightly dished pistons for less compression to suit this, the petrol pistons are flat top but there is no problem running petrol with the dished pistons .

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 27, 2018 6:19 am

Hi Geoff,
Yes the tractor in question with the CAK is a petrol/kero tractor as t does have the twin tanks and hot box at the manifold but this one when stripped down had flat top pistons. The new pistons also are flat top ones but we will not be running it on kero as it is dearer than petrol here so there is no point.

philedge

Post by philedge » Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 pm

From the cropmaster or not thread, CAK/CAG breakdown is-
C - 30 series one tractor engines
A - Agricultural
G - Gasoline
K - Kerosene

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun May 27, 2018 9:28 pm

The CAK engine was not exclusive to the 30C, it was used in other applications.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 am

Thank you for explaining it so that I understand.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi cobbadog there were lots of odd combinations came out of the factory depending on parts available, one of my Super Cropmasters has twin tanks, steering brake pedals,is RH double seat and has seperate clutch also on RH side & is a CAG with flat top pistons. You mention new flat top pistons, where did you find them, there are plenty of diesel pistons available but havnt found petrol ones in 3- 5/8 yet. cheers Geoff

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:00 am

Hi Geoff, All parts for the rebuild were supplied by David Brown Spares UK and mailed to us here in Australia. I didn't specify anything just gave them the serial numbers and all parts turned up. The only thing they queried was what size spacer ring(?) was needed for the liners so they didn't sit too high. There must be a difference in the length of the liners or something that requires either an 0.013" or shorter spacer (from memory). So I got the engine rebuilders who were cleaning it all up chemically for me to re assemble measured the gap at the top of the liner to top of the block and I sent that number over and everything went back together perfectly and the engines runs very smoothly and has a good amount of torque for sled pulling once a year when it comes out to play. Even on the occasions of doing a Trek it seems to pull up over hills very well and I run oversized rear tyres to drop the RPM down and it just handles it so very well.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Heres some more Cropmaster engine info taken from a DB service manual that someone guided me to.
Early series engines
Serial number only
"Later" series engines
AK/4
AG/4
Third series engines (dont know if there was ever a second series, or mabe thats what the "later" series was)
AK/4/3/ 3 1/2
AG/4/3/ 3 1/2
Super Cropmaster engines
CAK/4/3
CAG/4/3

The above all break down as follows
A- agricultural
K- kerosene
G- gasoline(petrol)
C- super cropmaster
4- 4 cylinder
3- third series with 3 5/8 bore engine when not followed by 3 1/2, as below
3/ 3 1/2- third series with 3 1/2 inch borec engine
Last edited by philedge on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Is it a genuine DB manual ? It is not complete.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 pm

It looked very DBesque to me- publication DBT 170.02A, but feel free to add what you know