Pick up hitch

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

johnclaude

Pick up hitch

Post by johnclaude » Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on releasing the pick up hitch on a 1290, it's seized solid the cab lever is ok but the other end won't budge. Tried heat and wd40 but no luck yet. Can I give it some hammer or will i break something,, Cheers John

ollek

Re: Pick up hitch

Post by ollek » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

In order to unhook the hooks on the cross shaft (ref 20) you need to hold the hydraulic control lever fully back in the select position when you pull on the cab lever. If this does not help, try to put a hydraulic jack under the PUH and lift it up. Please see the attached link to a page from the parts catalogue. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/nobletr ... 0ar1304300

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks, I've been using a jack because I don't have any hitch rods fitted was going to order some from barcley Williams when I get it free.
Cheers John.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu May 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Are you saying that you can unhook using a jack under the PUH? If this is the case, then there is no problems at the bottom. The 3-point hitch will not lift high enough in order to free to hooks, if you do not keep the hydraulic lever in the select position. You will not be able to unhook, without the PUH being lifted up to its maximum height and this will be archived only with the hydraulic lever being fully back in the quadrant. It doesn't make any difference if there in load or no load on the PUH, the hooks have a shape that prevents them from unhooking under normal driving conditions.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 pm

No can't release hooks when lifted with jack
I've only had the tractor a couple of weeks and I don't know if the puh as ever been used. It has straight drawbar on it rather than a hook.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 pm

With the puh lifted I have managed to get a tyre lever in between the hitch and the hooks to unhook one in the past when the cable snapped but if it’s seized that might not help. Good luck with it.
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try,
I think it's just a case of giving it some more releasing oil and a bit of leverage, Cheers.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri May 18, 2018 5:33 am

johnclaude, you wrote "It has straight drawbar on it rather than a hook". A drawbar has no hooks and can not be lowered and lifted. Can you please provide a picture of the region you have problem with, as your explanations are somewhat difficult to follow and contradicts themselves. The following link shows the drawbar https://partstore.caseih.com/us/nobletr ... 0ar1304262

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Yes just veiwed the link, I've got all that is shown
All that will swing down won't it when the hooks are released. Thanks

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm

It sounds that you have a standard drawbar. These can not be lowered without undoing some bolts, and this is done only if you need to remove the bottom part of the drawbar for repair or service reasons. The drawbar is designed to be used mainly together with pulled equipment's like balers. You will always need to lift the boom of a trailer with a jack to hook the trailer up to a drawbar. Can you please tell me what ref numbers in the parts catalogue you think are "hooks", as there are no hooks in a standard drawbar. Can you please supply the picture I asked for earlier.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Fri May 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Has a postscript to my last post ollek
I also have fitted the parts in the first link
You sent me,

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 pm

In the first link, parts 20 to 25. thanks

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, if you have an pick up hitch, do not tell me that "It has straight drawbar on it rather than a hook". A pick up hitch do not have a straight drawbar. This is my last post on this subject.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Ok ollek thanks

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sat May 19, 2018 9:52 pm

My 1690 has a hook on one end and drawbar hitch on other end and could be swapped around however i removed the linkage and bolted drawbar frame up solid as pickup was not used.