Power steering ram DB 990A

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

tsandrews01

Power steering ram DB 990A

Post by tsandrews01 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 am

Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on an alternate way to replace the ram cylinder on a 990. Mine got a dent in it by hitting something and can only go about 3/4 of the way back. I contacted my reliable source for part, davidbrownparts.com and even they said they did not have a replacement. I looked at the steering ram on other models and they are a little different. I'm also considering trying to find a machine shop that does hydraulics but I know that option will be expensive. I've also been looking for scrapped parts to se if I can come up with the one I need. Are there ways to retrofit a different style of power steering rams on there? The rest of the steering works fine. My problem is I can't turn right but can turn left just fine due to the dent in the cylinder preventing the ram from going all the way in. The dent is not viewable in the picture. I wanted to include the picture so it was clear which one I had.

Thanks in advance.
rsz_120180508_140504.jpg
rsz_120180508_140504.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 411 times

ollek

Re: Power steering ram DB 990A

Post by ollek » Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 am

I think that what you are referring to is the steering cylinder from a tractor with hydrostatic steering. Your tractor has a Power Assisted Steering, and this is completely different to the Hydrostatic steering. The cylinders are not interchangeable. The following link takes you to a drawing of the hydrostatic steering. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 6ar1299337 The following link is to a drawing of the PAS steering https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar990477 It is not possible to fit anything else than the original PAS steering cylinder, as this cylinder also includes some valves that operates the steering function. There is no valves in a Hydrostatic steering cylinder, as this cylinder gets its oil supply from a steering valve fitted to the bottom of the steering column.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 am

Is power assisted steering really required ? The vast majority of these tractors do not have it.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 am

The PAS illustrated was an aftermarket option made by Cam Gears of Dunstable .Parts for which are no longer readily available.However,it is not a major job to strip it down and most engineering firms have the facility to straighten and true any deformed ram rods.
If replacement parts cannot be sourced from former DB dealers ,then this might be the way to go.Good luck.AJK.

tsandrews01

Post by tsandrews01 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 am

Thanks for the all the feedback. This gives me some options to consider.

ollek wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 am
I think that what you are referring to is the steering cylinder from a tractor with hydrostatic steering.
Thanks for the clarification. I see the difference now. One of the things that was mentioned to me was if I was able to locate a complete hydrostatic system from a tear down I could convert it over. If I did that, would I run into trouble trying to piece parts from different tractors? I'm concerned with things like configuration changes that would prevent all the parts from fitting together.

db2d wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 am
Is power assisted steering really required ? The vast majority of these tractors do not have it.
I am actually considering that option as well. Do you know if I would have trouble finding a replacement connector rod. The current one that connects to the power steering cylinder is a couple inches short of being able to connect without the cylinder. I may even do this anyway as a temporary fix until I can get a better solution in place. There are a lot of of items that need work on this tractor and I was hoping to work those prior to this hurdle.

ALANJ wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 am
The PAS illustrated was an aftermarket option made by Cam Gears of Dunstable .
That actually makes me feel better. Don't know if you noticed where the connector rod that connects the steering box to the PAS looks like it was welded on. I always figured it was a repair but aftermarket option explains a lot. Knowing who made it, might pop a hit in searching since I was only searching for DB manufactured parts.

Thanks again for all the input. This forum site has been a great help with this and other hurdles with keeping this thing maintained .

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Thu May 10, 2018 8:17 am

You are most welcome.AJK.

tsandrews01

Post by tsandrews01 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 am

Follow up question. Can the PAS off an 880 work on a 990? The drawings look close but I can't find enough details to know for sure. Thanks.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am

I am not sure but would guess they are not due to the engine block/ frame being one cylinder length different.One final point,the drag link you referred to in previous posts is not original and bent into a weird shape ,hence your welding comment.
One possible explanation being that when mounting the tractor,some drivers used to stand on the said drag link.Originally it was straight.This used to slightly twist the link and therefore the cylinder unit thereby putting the sensing valve on the cylinder out of phase.Faulty steering action thus resulted.It therefore is possible the drag link was reworked to prevent driver stand on.
Hope this helps,AJK.

tsandrews01

Post by tsandrews01 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

ALANJ wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am
I am not sure but would guess they are not due to the engine block/ frame being one cylinder length different.
Thanks, That is what I was concerned about. That is a very valid point I didn't think about. Guess it would be similar situation for larger models as well. Cally at Davidbrownparts.com was explaining to me that the PAS was actually not as popular in the UK as it was in the US during the time my model was made and that I would more likely find the part from a breaker in the US. Off course the hard part now is locating one at a breaker. DB parts are becoming a rare commodity here. Of course with the modified drag, I also run a risk of variations in design not fitting as well. I was able to locate a few salvage yards though that seem to have DB parts. So hopefully I will get lucky. Thanks again.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Why not put a wanted ad in the DBTC magazine and also Classic Tractor magazine.If that fails ,strip the ram assembly and have the rod professionally straightened.Not a big job.Also why not cut a replacement straight drag link section .Again,not a big job.
Very best of luck.AJK.

Captain_Sensible1

Post by Captain_Sensible1 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 pm

tsandrews01 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 am
Follow up question. Can the PAS off an 880 work on a 990? The drawings look close but I can't find enough details to know for sure. Thanks.
I think the Power-Assisted Steering (PAS) ram/cylinder from a 880 would fit / work on a DB 990, because the ram travel needed to move the steering arm on the front axle should be the same. However, the 'Drag Link' on the 880 would be shorter, to compensate for the shorter (3 cyl.) engine block ... but you could swap yours.

Alan is right about getting the ram rod straightened, but am I right in thinking you've got a dent in the ram cylinder casing? That's more of a 'challenge'. Those PAS ram casings are unique because they incorporate a hydraulic valve at the front end. Guess it depends where the 'dent' is.

These rams do turn up in the UK every now & then, but they are rare. They were used by some other tractor manufacturers (e.g. County, Roadless), but not by many 'mainstream' manufacturers. We considered Power Steering an expensive / unnecessary luxury here until the mid-1970s.

Cheers,

Andy

b-man

Post by b-man » Sat May 19, 2018 1:10 pm

db2d wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 am
i definitely notice when mine is low of fluid its a ************ of a thing to turn. top it up and a dream to drive again.

i either need to pull mine apart and put new seals in or just keep topping it up with oil

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 am

A hydraulic shop may be able to repair your cylinder buy honing it out. Worth looking into. But would depend on how bad the dent is. If beyond honing maybe a new cylinder could be machined up to do the repair.