990 Fuel Pump

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Gard

Re: 990 Fuel Pump

Post by Gard » Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I must admit to being confused by the upside down bowel when I first got my tractor and it is a little messy to change. One advantage of this orientation is that it is immediately obvious if there is air getting into the line between the tank and pump. This has been very helpful to me several times over the years. It seems like it is not quite as easy to see trapped water as when the bowel is on the bottom.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Some of you think that the glass bowl is upside down when it is on top of the pump and many with this opinion looks to be from USA. I think it is the right way around being on top. More than 90 present of the tractors I have been in contact with have had the bowl on top.

Gard

Post by Gard » Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Ollek, I agree with you that the glass bowel on the top works best, especially for diesel.
When I bought my non running 990 at auction almost 30 years ago it was the first diesel engine for me. I knew absolutely nothing about David Brown other than it looked to be about the right size and price. I had seen some gasoline powered equipment with a glass bowel on the bottom. Also compressors have glass bowels on the bottom typically with a drain valve. The older DB 900 I recently purchased shows a filter before the pump with a glass bowel on the bottom in the manual, I found one in the local Ag store, says it fits Ford, that looks similar, so you may be correct about this being more common on US equipment.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Here in England it's quite unusual to see a fuel bowl that's on top, David Brown are different in that respect.

Both orientations work, although I prefer the bowl to be beneath as it holds more dirt and it all comes out with the glass rather than sitting on the lift pump. But having it on top makes it easier to check that the seal is in place, so it's good and bad.