DB885 Hydraulic filter change

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ravilez

DB885 Hydraulic filter change

Post by ravilez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:43 am

What a drag to find a worn hydraulic drain plug when you want to change the hydraulic filter on a DB885.
Guess this is not a big deal for an experienced mechanic but I tried spanners, vice grips and tube pliers to not avail.
I even filed down the bolt into a more hexagonal shape. Then I searched the internet for a solution and found IRWIN Bolt gripers.
Ordered a set from RS-Online for 42Euros and an amazingly cheap DHL delivery for only 5Euros within 24 hours.
Should I be unable unscrew the drain plug even with this carbon hardened steel conical nut cracker, can I go ahead and drain
the oil simply by unscrewing the filter panel just enough for the gasket to dribble the oil ? As long as the bucket underneath is large enough, I cannot see a problem.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

JamesF

RE: DB885 Hydraulic filter change

Post by JamesF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 pm

You could undo the ring of bolts holding the filter pan on and let it run into a suitable container.

It might end up a bit messy but it will get the oil out and give access to the suction filter

You could also let some of the oil drain out through the vacuum switch under the pto box.
This would reduce the amount of oil coming from the pan underneath and may make it a bit cleaner job!

Once you've got the pan off it would be an idea to get the offending plug out and change it so next time changing the filter is a simple job.

The plug should be easier to deal with when the pan is off the tractor and on the bench

DB770.DB880

Post by DB770.DB880 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:53 pm

There is a drain plug under the rear axle, why not use it, you will only have app 3L remaining in the Hyd/Gearbox filter sump cover.

ravilez

Post by ravilez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Great ideas. I knew someone would come up with alternatives.
Thanks alot. :)

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi, I do exactly what James F has described, although the PTO sump plug should be removed also anyway. I think the problem is often that people, perhaps in the past, could not be bothered to use the correct size spanner - which I think is "Whitworth" size and have damaged the "soft" brass plug. The IRWIN bolt grippers look good, but I have recently removed the pan and not bothered removing the remains of the brass plug. Just give it a good clean. The brass sump plug can leak anyway so they may be best left.