Tractor Scams on eBay

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderator: admin

SteveCollett

RE: Tractor Scams on eBay

Post by SteveCollett » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 pm

sorry the scammers are far more intelligent than you give them.they vary from stupid to very clever
i would advise anyone buying on ebay, if it is more than a few pounds pick it up and pay cash

marky123

996 scam

Post by marky123 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 am

theres a 996 4wd with loader and back actor on just now it was on a while ago. and sold im sure its a scam this time round free postage crap
My david brown 88s ex a plant getting restored new bonnet comeing on monday

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 pm

The 996 has disappeared from the ebay listing, so your scam theory could be correct !!

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Checking feedback is often useful - the 996's "owner" had a score of 17; all were purchases that had nothing to do with tractors and there was nothing since February. This should set the alarm bells ringing!

My feedback shows all sorts of things bought and sold, with activity going back nine years (!), so, if I sell a tractor, there's a good chance that I have bought parts for it - or another tractor - a few weeks before I have listed it (near enough to be able to see details of the purchase). Had my feedback only shown ladies tights and perfume (it doesn't!), it would be reasonable to guess that the listing is a scam or my identity has been stolen.

As others have said, send a message and ask to see the item before placing a bid. What often happens is that you negotiate there and then and the seller removes said machine from eBay (against the rules, but it happens!).

A friend had it the other way two or three years ago - a car load of angry Polish (I think) men arrived at his house while he was at work and asked for the "Mazda MX2" that they had bought and paid a large deposit for. The Police were called in and, apparently, someone had set a company up trading from my friend's house and had then listed the bogus car on eBay!

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Sometimes it works the other way around also.

We had a very, very strange event a couple of years ago - we 'sold' a boat to a chap supposedly from Hertfordshire.

Knowing the thing was not seaworthy, he rang me up and suggested he come down by train to sail it home, to a place in Hertfordshire nowhere near any sort of river etc. We sort of suggested that this was totally, totally impractical.

Next thing that happened, a cheque turned up in the post for the full amount in a name slightly different from the one that he had given in previous communications and from a slightly different address. This raised alarm bells - although may not have spotted it, had not he been such a pratt on the 'phone.!!

I queried this with him big time, he didn’t respond and so I sent his cheque back, registered post and copied the letter to the other address/person named in his letter. Also contacted Ebay of course.

Never did find out what it was about - an attempt at money laundering springs to mind - but it was only a 900 pound boat - would that have been worth all the effort????

Cheers

David

PS Bought many tractors off Ebay over the years - last one just a few weeks back - an IH 955 Turbo. Only once had an issue and that was mis-selling, not a scam.

It is easy to become paranoid these days and I am not sure that is a good thing.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

The 996 and digger is on again at a much reduced price (and different seller!)

I'm having fun from the other way round - sold a MIG torch for spares a fortnight ago and, in spite of emails from the buyer for a week, he still hasn't paid! It's not the money that concerns me - it's having to keep the torch handy in case he pays and I have to post it!

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 pm

996 digger back on ebay again !!