David Brown 995/6 v Ford 5000

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

tomwill

David Brown 995/6 v Ford 5000

Post by tomwill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 am

I have read on one of the past forams in regard to the Ford 5000 up against the DB995/6, i think from memory the Ford was 77 gross HP which would bring it down to approx 72 din this would be 8 hp better than the 95/96,however with the right wheel equipment and weight i think it would give the 5000 a bit of a run, many people have said the DB1200 was no match for a 5000 i find that very difficult to except.Cheers TomWill AUST

John_Allen

RE: David Brown 995/6 v Ford 5000

Post by John_Allen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:39 am

I reckon DB's twelve speeds against the early Ford's seven would count in the DB's favour and, if memory serves, the Ford wouldn't have syncro.

I don't know if a 995/6 would have the power that a 5000 did, but DBs have always punched above their weight and I read somewhere that the 5000 had plenty of power, but little torque. The 4000 was supposed to be all torque and, while I never liked them, the ones I have driven seemed to be able to pull away with pretty well anything behind them on good going.

I never rated the 1200 myself: it always seemed a heck of a big and clumsy machine for the amount of power available. I think that DB were sometimes more interested in a ploughing tractor than a general purpose one - hence the extra weight compared to MF and Fords - but when most of a tractor's life is NOT ploughing, things like PTO power and manoeuvrability are more important.

On the other hand, the 1410/12 were great machines, with plenty of power for the weight and, in my opinion, were better than the legendary Ford 7000!

TEZB

Post by TEZB » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Have you ever used a DB 1412/10 and Ford 7000 side by side John, I ask as on paper the Ford should beat the DB hand's down, 248 lbft of torque for the Ford v's 213 lbft for the DB. The Ford also has load moniter sensing and could be had with 16 speed's. I used a 5000 for a while and found it to be a good tractor, very nice to to drive.I have a 1412 but not tried it in anger yet so not sure what it is capable of yet (still in rebuild mode).

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 pm

TEZB wrote:Have you ever used a DB 1412/10 and Ford 7000 side by side John, I ask as on paper the Ford should beat the DB hand's down, 248 lbft of torque for the Ford v's 213 lbft for the DB. The Ford also has load moniter sensing and could be had with 16 speed's. I used a 5000 for a while and found it to be a good tractor, very nice to to drive.I have a 1412 but not tried it in anger yet so not sure what it is capable of yet (still in rebuild mode).
Tezb you will not be disapointed with your 1412,i have a 1412 [ see traction] i would be very confident up against a Ford 7000.i use mine in my contract work and work on many propertys in this area everyone is impressed with its preformance,it gave the big boys a real scare in our local tractor pull competition.Cheers TomWill

erkki

Post by erkki » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:43 am

Hmmmm. 1200 was, I think, an answer to F 5000 and MF 175 as a tractor, which can handle haeavier mounted implements. Long wheelbase and heavy front enable handling much bigger things with compared to 990 (and MF 165, F 4000 etc.) Therefore I think 996 is one step lighter tractor. Very early 1200 was critisized because of lazy engine, I have one and in my opinion the power is fine to 2,5 tonne tractor, no doubt. Its not that agile with compared to smaller DB:s but it keeps front end on ground in heavy duties.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am

Hi I was reading about 995/6 versus 5000. When I left school back in 1974 I went to work on a farm and they had a 1973 996 chocolate brown with the hydrostatic steering. It was a brilliant tractor I absoulutly loved it. Always find the right gear for the job, pulled like a train and easy to use. It was well engineered, looked and sounded good.
A couple of years later I did a summer on a farm that had just had a Ford 5000 and it was a little disapointing. It had two gears in the box that were the same!?? and if you had to put the PTO out to make a tight turn with the baler you could be waiting a while before it decided to come in again. And it sounded tinny. Boss got rid of it after he got dragged through the haybob when he thought it was out of gear.

mitch

Post by mitch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

I would agree with iglode's comments on 996, much heavier machine, great gearing, good brakes and very reliable motor. I used a later 996 4wd with a 2tonne fork lift on the front on vegetable farm. It was unstoppable and could lift and carry anyting you wanted in any conditions. Hand clutch good too. It could have done with a higher capacity hydraulic pump though. They also had a 995 with forklift on 18.4/30 rears 2wd drive, it stopped and turned on a dime and went real fast too. they worked them for 25 years like that day in day out. You would put up with a 5000 in that environment for that long.

Regards 1200s I am not sure why they get bagged on this forum so much, in my opinion it is not warranted. Every machine is built for a purpose, they are suited to pulling or heavy pto work but still handy for light jobs. Their length is an asset mostly and very stable machine and heaps of power especially the bosch setup on later ones. Like erkki says good rear linkage too and able to handle heavy gear. 14s are not in same class as any of these obviously and are my fav DB. That said I havent ever used a 6 cylinder DB.
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

tom995

Post by tom995 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:22 pm

i often use a ford 5610 (same arond 75 hp as 5000) as wel as db 995, very evenly matched when it comes to power and grip, ford lacks synchro gears but has dual power clutchless splitter

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

Just came back from National Rally in Mudgee NSW very interesting to hear some stories of DB tractors one farmer in QLD has a 996 with a 4 furrow mouldbourd his neighbor has a 4 furrow as well but a Ford 6600 up front they went in the field together, the DB owner said to his neighbor your Fords a bit doughy he said you[ DB fellows with all your gears if you can find them ] !!!Cheers TomWill AUST