Help if possible please.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

TEZB

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by TEZB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:34 pm

I have to say Scooby that we had a 996 with the narrow door Q cab and a 995 with the wide door Q cab and that silly sliding window rear panel, to be honest the 996 was my favorite tractor we had even though it was the most troublesome,build quality fell apart during the mid 1970's and never recovered, the last DB we had was a1394 and even if the factory had not closed I think we would have jumped ship as they say and that was after 40+ year's with David Brown's.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Yes, I concur with a lot of what you say but in their defence I always found DB would bend over backwards to help me out and most of any faults were dealt with under warranty, even if 2-3 years old. It may have been because, as a contractor I was getting DBs around a bit, plus the fact that we had very strong MF & Ford dealerships close by.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:26 pm

Scooby wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 pm
That was very kind of you to post those photos. Thank you. But I am certain that the loader fitted to the 990 I am talking about was originally for an 885. According to my spares books the frame for the loader of an 800 series tractor was quite a bit different from all the others. It was shorter (oresumably because the tractors had a shorter chassis) but deeper. Interesting photo. showing the support bar but it is missing on some of the photos. Thank you for putting it on temporarily if that's what you did. It must have been a pain filling the fuel tank when that was fitted but I can see the advantage of it.

Could I ask a favour please ? Next time you are with your tractor could you count how many bolts and set screws there are holding the frame to the chassis ? The one I am talking about has 4 on each side and that, together with the missing support bar both across the bonnet and going back to the drawbar (if there was supposed to be one) makes me think that if you got really stroppy with the loader mucking out a yard or loading soil it would be quite easy to do some damage. Fortunatly the tractor is a 2wd but as anyone who knows about such things, you can still get stroopy if you've got a big counterweight and mucking out a yard with a concrete floor.
The support bar doesn't really get in the way - it's there but doesn't present issues, a normal funnel still fits in the fuel filler. I have it removed as I mistakenly thought it would be possible to remove the fuel tank forwards as the cylinder head is currently off and I don't want to strip the entire dashboard out. It's just resting on the loader frame for the picture as the tools weren't handy so probably looks to be in the way more than it is. It isn't something I would want to be without, it must add a lot of rigidity to the loader brackets.

Of course I can count the bolts, might be this week but might well end up being next weekend depending on how things go.
I would be concerned about a loader that was missing bolts and support brackets if it might do real work. I have water ballasted rear tyres and a counterweight on this tractor to give it adequate grip and stability, and although I've never had problems it's fair to say that it puts a lot of strain on everything when you get something heavy on the front, it will move a lot of weight for a small machine.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:23 am

Thank you for that. It all makes sense. DB loaders were always known to be well built, that's why I once put one on a 990. There were plenty of alternatives but, and I presume that the loaders came out of Leigh as well as ploughs, diggers, etc., anything that came out of there was well made. They did cut down on costs now and again (reversible plough pinion shafts for one thing !) but by and large DB stuff was designed and made well.
Image Image

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:40 pm

David,

Here you go. Looks like five bolts each side. Two back near the cab, one near the front of the tractor also holding the piece that protects the front end of the tractor, and two a little further back.
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG (116.09 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG (144.72 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG (144.92 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG (154.8 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG (158.92 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1377.jpeg (141.12 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you Bill, that is really helpful. Very clear images. Thanks for your time. Regards - David.
Image Image

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:54 pm

David,

You're welcome, that's what this forum is all about!