Help if possible please.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

User avatar
cobbadog
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 am
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 am

Maybe the "Special" decal is there for that heater arrangement.

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 am

bedwards1966 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 pm

If it's any help I'm pretty sure that my loader is an LQ9 on a 995. It has a round bar which runs across the top of the bonnet/bottom of the windscreen that joins the loader halves together, is this what you're thinking of? Can't remember if it has anything underneath the tractor, can take a look at the weekend if that's any help to you.
Thank you. I think this is an L8 and not for a Q cab but it's such a long tome since I had anything to do with DB loaders I'm a bit rusty but I seem to remember a bar going from one side of the loader frame across the line of the engine and joining up with the other side of the loader frame. If you can come back with any info. after the weekend I would be very grateful.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 am

cobbadog wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 am
Maybe the "Special" decal is there for that heater arrangement.
Possibility I suppose. I think that the line that can just be seen behind the word "Special" goes all the way to the rear of the roof which makes me think that it is an official decal of some sort and not a "home-made" addition.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

User avatar
manxmac
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: United Kingdom I.O.M.

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by manxmac » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Scooby
I have a DB990 Q cab and later fitted a LQ9 Power loader which has given amazing service over the last 40 odd years, lifting way more than it should and loading grain with an enlarged DB bulk bucket. in fact the whole tractor and loader combination have punched well above their weight. When I retired I bought an old 1210 Q cab to restore as a hobby and contemplated fitting a loader as the 1210 is about 18 inches longer than the 990 I set about trying to find out whether the whole loader varied according to which tractor it was destined for. In the end I think DB would be too smart and probably short of cash and made the arms and support pillars universal and the tractor mounting frame to fit the various tractor models. there was a very obliging ex DB dealer just near Heysham Robert Taylor I think who advertised quite a selection of new DB parts they still had in stock. Amongst these were some accessories for DB loaders one of which was described as a stabiliser frame which linked the standard loader frame to the back axle.
I never found out what the differences were between the tractor frames or loader arms.

SteveCollett
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:17 am
Location: Suffolk

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

I am sure I have seen that logo somewhere else, I think the whole cab has been adapted from another tractor possibly a Lamborghini?
It is of course technically illegal if so, but a lot better than no cab at all.

User avatar
rid54
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 am
Location: Vallentuna, Sweden

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by rid54 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 am

Re: Klippan (possibly off-topic):
https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?t=8399
They made cabs, possibly even for David Brown. Pics a bit down the page, otherwise swedish text.

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:26 pm

SteveCollett wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am
I am sure I have seen that logo somewhere else, I think the whole cab has been adapted from another tractor possibly a Lamborghini?
It is of course technically illegal if so, but a lot better than no cab at all.
I think somebody somewhere will know what it is. Is it "technically illegal"if only the owner drives it ? There are loads of tractors at ploughing matches with no safety frame even but when that legislation was introduced it was O.K. not to fit a frame if only the owner was going to drive it and I presume that the same still applies. This tractor is not a working tractor. It is owned by a retired person who didn't farm and wasn't involved with farm machinery at all.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm

manxmac wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am
Hi Scooby
I have a DB990 Q cab and later fitted a LQ9 Power loader which has given amazing service over the last 40 odd years, lifting way more than it should and loading grain with an enlarged DB bulk bucket. in fact the whole tractor and loader combination have punched well above their weight. When I retired I bought an old 1210 Q cab to restore as a hobby and contemplated fitting a loader as the 1210 is about 18 inches longer than the 990 I set about trying to find out whether the whole loader varied according to which tractor it was destined for. In the end I think DB would be too smart and probably short of cash and made the arms and support pillars universal and the tractor mounting frame to fit the various tractor models. there was a very obliging ex DB dealer just near Heysham Robert Taylor I think who advertised quite a selection of new DB parts they still had in stock. Amongst these were some accessories for DB loaders one of which was described as a stabiliser frame which linked the standard loader frame to the back axle.
I never found out what the differences were between the tractor frames or loader arms.
Regrettably I only have spares books for the L7, L8, L9, & L12 and LS7, LS8, LS9. & LS12 loaders but in each case there is a different part No. for the loader frames. But they were much different frames for those older loaders than the LQ range. Even so I am certain that the loader on this tractor is for an 885 and because it has shorter loader arms whoever fitted it to this 990 had to push it right up to the front, otherwise the crowd ram would have been a bit close to the front of the bonnet.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

rid54 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 am
Re: Klippan (possibly off-topic):
https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?t=8399
They made cabs, possibly even for David Brown. Pics a bit down the page, otherwise swedish text.
I certainly think it was someone like that who made this cab. But the mudguards are also very beefy and so I think that wherever it came from it was a compete unit.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

SteveCollett
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:17 am
Location: Suffolk

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Scooby wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:26 pm
SteveCollett wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am
I am sure I have seen that logo somewhere else, I think the whole cab has been adapted from another tractor possibly a Lamborghini?
It is of course technically illegal if so, but a lot better than no cab at all.
I think somebody somewhere will know what it is. Is it "technically illegal"if only the owner drives it ? There are loads of tractors at ploughing matches with no safety frame even but when that legislation was introduced it was O.K. not to fit a frame if only the owner was going to drive it and I presume that the same still applies. This tractor is not a working tractor. It is owned by a retired person who didn't farm and wasn't involved with farm machinery at all.
you are quite right that owner drivers do not have to worry.
I have this nagging memory of seeing a tractor cab with just that logo, and I am certain it was not a DB. Some enterprising person may well have adapted one from a scrapped tractor.
I am regularly horrified by the blasé way some people treat legislation blatantly at ploughing matches, road runs and on Utube with regards to all manner of law from roll over protection, underage driving, carrying kids on tractors etc.

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:31 pm

SteveCollett wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm
you are quite right that owner drivers do not have to worry.
I have this nagging memory of seeing a tractor cab with just that logo, and I am certain it was not a DB. Some enterprising person may well have adapted one from a scrapped tractor.
I am regularly horrified by the blasé way some people treat legislation blatantly at ploughing matches, road runs and on Utube with regards to all manner of law from roll over protection, underage driving, carrying kids on tractors etc.
I thoroughly agree with your last peregraph. And very often they are people who have not spent their lives on farm machinery and do not know how machinery can behave if you get in a difficult/unusual/ situation.

Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

User avatar
bedwards1966
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Here you are, some pictures of an LQ9 in the hope it's of some help:

Ignore the accumulator, that was not standard fitment but it does make roadwork much more comfortable!
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG (216.45 KiB) Viewed 646 times


No support rails going underneath the tractor:
IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG (198.16 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Sorry about the mess, she's having some repairs done, but you should get the idea
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG (229.72 KiB) Viewed 646 times

The support bar across the top of the loader that was mentioned before:
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG (190.41 KiB) Viewed 646 times

If you want any more pictures, just say.

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 pm

That was very kind of you to post those photos. Thank you. But I am certain that the loader fitted to the 990 I am talking about was originally for an 885. According to my spares books the frame for the loader of an 800 series tractor was quite a bit different from all the others. It was shorter (oresumably because the tractors had a shorter chassis) but deeper. Interesting photo. showing the support bar but it is missing on some of the photos. Thank you for putting it on temporarily if that's what you did. It must have been a pain filling the fuel tank when that was fitted but I can see the advantage of it.

Could I ask a favour please ? Next time you are with your tractor could you count how many bolts and set screws there are holding the frame to the chassis ? The one I am talking about has 4 on each side and that, together with the missing support bar both across the bonnet and going back to the drawbar (if there was supposed to be one) makes me think that if you got really stroppy with the loader mucking out a yard or loading soil it would be quite easy to do some damage. Fortunatly the tractor is a 2wd but as anyone who knows about such things, you can still get stroopy if you've got a big counterweight and mucking out a yard with a concrete floor.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

TEZB
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by TEZB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

we had a 996 with Q cab and loader it had 5 bolt's each side, 2 near the cab 2 near the front and 1 at the very front that also went through the rad guard. Going back to the cab it's a pity DB did not employ the person that fitted the cab much better than DB's effort's it's got a proper door and rear window (ha ha).

Scooby
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:45 pm

This 990 is an absolute pig to get in and out of. It's a 3-sticker which doesn't help and my prefernce has always been for the cab hinges to be on the front pillar whereas the ones on this tractor are hinged over the mudguard. The early cabbed 1212s weren't great for access but they hung from the front but the Q cab was a big improvement. At least when they hang from the front they tend to shut themselves if not closed properly, unlike my Comm. I once dismissed a corn-carter for driving about with the door of the Comm. flapping about like a *** in the breeze !
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests