Help if possible please.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Scooby

Help if possible please.

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:36 pm

A friend has acquired a 990S with a loader and it has a few queries which we hope someone can help with. Firstly it is a 3 sticker and although the VIN is very difficult to read under the power steering pump and behind the loader frame it looks like 990A819638 which makes it about Feb/March 1970. But there is another character at the end of the VIN No. which looks like a 9 but it could be an S for the 12 speed box.

But it's the cab that is providing the main query. Please have a look at the images below. The cab itself, together with the mudguards, are very well made. It's not a flat deck and someone has put a bench seat in it. It almost looks like some of the cab parts are a bit "home-made" i.e. where it goes over the top of the bonnet. It has the word "Special" on the top on the LH side.

One major concern is that the loader frame only has 4 bolts on each side holding it to the chassis. Lots of other holes but maybe because the loader, which carries a model code of LO 8 (wrong loader for the 990 ??? ) and a serial No. of 10785 was meant for different models. It has certainly been on another tractor before being fitted to this one.

Finally (for now ! ) there is a very substantial heater in the cab. The outlet is down at the bottom in front of the brake pedals and, as can be seen, the fresh air intake is in the middle of the bonnet.

Thank in advance for any help that can be given.
Attachments
IMG_8251.JPG
IMG_8251.JPG (239.56 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_8254.JPG
IMG_8254.JPG (183.48 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8256.JPG (96.42 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_8257.JPG
IMG_8257.JPG (230.02 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG (146.04 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_8264.JPG
IMG_8264.JPG (168.31 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

ollek

Re: Help if possible please.

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 pm

The loader designation can not be O, as there is no loader with this marking. The marking must be LQ, meaning that the loader is ment to be fitted to a tractor with Q-cab, a much later tractor model than the one in the pictures. The loader looks to be too much to the front, no correctly fitted David Brown loaders was fitted like that. The tractor model must be 990AS and the A stands for a 990 with a two stage clutch operation and separate clutch plates for transmission and pto clutces. The letter S stands for a tractor with a 12-speed gear box. The pictures shows that the tractor in the pictures is a older 12-speed version as it has 3 gear levers. Later 12-speed models with sybnchronized gears 2 and 3, had only two gear levers. I have a feeling that this tractor had no cab when it left the factory and that the cab is from an other tractor brand and fitted at a later stage. I do not think that the factory had any cabs available for the older tractors with brown frame. The heater with air intake on top of the bonnet is defenetely not David Brown design.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Thank you very much for your reply Ollek. I wondered if the tractor was originally an export tractor to a Scandinavian country because of the elaborate heater arrangement and then I thought maybe the cab was something that might have been available in that country. It almost looks substantial enough to be a safety cab. It's a long time since I owned a 3 sticker 990, I bought a new one in 1967 and went to 1200 series after that and so I don't know when they went to 2 levers.

With regard to the loader I can't remember what the DB loader designation was for my 990 ( L9 ? ) and I never had a loader on a tractor after that. I have grabbed the original photo. of the loader plate and attached it here and when I blow it up I can indeed see why the "O" could be a Q. But according to my brochure images an LQ8 was for an 885. Was it for a Q cab 885 ? Maybe that's why it is mounted so far forward ? It has a hydraulic bucket so shouldn't it be an LQ8H ?

With regard to the VIN No. it is very difficult to read but as I wrote before, I am certain that it is 990A81963 with another character on the end which could be an S which would make sense.
Attachments
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG (188.29 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Image Image

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:29 am

Is it possible that the cab and loader system were dapted by a previous owner nd not by the fctory at all? I know here in Oz many owners put their own accessories on to try and save money and can end up with wrong parts on tractors.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:01 pm

That is exactly what I have, using oder words, said earlier. David Brown never fitted cabs looking as the one in the pictures. Fitting not approved cabs can lead to problems with the authoritys if the tractor gets damaged in a accident.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks to both of you for your contribution. The tractor was manufactured before the date of safety frames/cabs in the U.K. so maybe the original owner thought that when the legislation came in that they would get some kind of substantial cab from somewhere and hope for the best ! I have a 1967 MF 135 and I had to fit an approved safety frame at the time. but we wondered if, because of the elaborate heater, that it may have been a cab fitted in a colder climate than the U.K. My feeling now is that, as implicated, the cab is just something that could be made to fit.

But may I repeat my question regarding the loader ? If it is an LQ8 (please have a look at the loader plate above) can someone confirm that it was speciically for an 800 series tractor and if what looks like an "O" on the plate is in fact a Q does that mean that it was originally intended for a Q cab ?
Image Image

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:04 pm

There is no loader called LO, but there is a loader called LQ and the loader frame is orange, sugesting that the loader is for a Q-cab tractor. The LQ8 loader was made to fit a 3-cylinder (885) tractor and that is why the loader frame is so short and the loader fitted too much to the front, as the engine frame for a 3-cyl is shorter than the frame for a 4-cyl. Loaders for tractors with brown frame, had brown loader frame and loader booms. The orange loader frame and white booms came into production when the tractor frame started to be painted orange and this is from the introduction of the 12-speed syncro gear box (1972)

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Just as I thought Ollek - thank you. I have warned my friend about those 3 stick 990s. Mine was my first new tractor after starting my contracting business some time before and I took the 12 speed box, it was an option at the time, because I thought it would give me a little bit extra chance to be more efficient. Little did I know about not using certain gears for heavy draft work and I was ploughing with a 2 furrow Ransomes TS82 plough and most days I could go in 9th gear which was one of those that were not supposed to be used.

I eventually ended up having 3 new gearboxes in the tractor but DB stood all the costs, even when the tractor was out of warranty. They were a very good firm as far as warranty work was concerned. But of course I knew that I was flying the flag for them a bit by working on so many different farms. Pluse the fact that the DB dealers in my area were very helpful.
Image Image

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:28 am

Going back to the cab. It has the word "Special" on the LH side of the roof over the door. Does that ring any bells with anybody ?

IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8256.JPG (86.43 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Image Image

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Yes, it does. The word "Special" is a sticker that can be made and putted on by anyone. Perhaps the person who adapted the cab to the tractor was proud of his job, so he called the end result "Special". I have never seen a factory made cab or a picture of one called "Special". It must be someones personal inspiration.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:56 pm

I just thought that the decal looked a bit "official" but it is actually a very well made cab and may well have been a safety cab of some sort off some machine or other.
Image Image

Berk

Post by Berk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:07 pm

That loader position looks a lot like one we found for an LQ12 loader on a non-Q 1212, I was told that you can swap the middle casting for a Q variant for a proper fit, if that's the way you roll.

We got a pretty decent fit with some liberal application of large drills to the loader brackets, maybe not perfect but a lot better than that snappy arrangement.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:38 pm

The cab, as can be viewed in the pics, have some similarities to the cab fitted to my 880; the profile of the roof, shape of the door frames and such. I think that the cab on my tractor is made by a company that branded their products "Klippan", and I think it is a safety cab (NOT sure about this). If so, the setup may indeed be related to scandinavia ("Klippan" is swedish). In Sweden, however, one would expect any heater system to have a substantial sub-system focused on the windscreen, as not seeing where you're going is a bit worse than having cold feet.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 pm

The loader is for an 885 and it has been fitted to this 990. I have all the loader spares books for the L & LS series but not for the LQ series which is a pity because I don't know if the LQ had the bar that ran from one side to the other or the stabilisers that ran back to the drawbar. It certainly hasn't got enough bolts attaching it to the chassis.

I Googled "Klippan" and they seem to make products more for the truck interiors, rather than actual cabs. I still think that it is a specific cab made for something ! It doesn't have to be a tractor. It could be a beet harvester, a digger, etc. etc.
Image Image

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Scooby wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 pm
The loader is for an 885 and it has been fitted to this 990. I have all the loader spares books for the L & LS series but not for the LQ series which is a pity because I don't know if the LQ had the bar that ran from one side to the other or the stabilisers that ran back to the drawbar. It certainly hasn't got enough bolts attaching it to the chassis.

I Googled "Klippan" and they seem to make products more for the truck interiors, rather than actual cabs. I still think that it is a specific cab made for something ! It doesn't have to be a tractor. It could be a beet harvester, a digger, etc. etc.
If it's any help I'm pretty sure that my loader is an LQ9 on a 995. It has a round bar which runs across the top of the bonnet/bottom of the windscreen that joins the loader halves together, is this what you're thinking of? Can't remember if it has anything underneath the tractor, can take a look at the weekend if that's any help to you.