selectamatic wiring

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Mossop

selectamatic wiring

Post by Mossop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi , having trouble with my warning lamps, when I bought tractor all the warning lamps were broken so I replaced with new , but when I did this the warning lamps glow faintly when ignition switched off , but they don't come on when the ignition is switched off , have checked all the earth straps and cleaned them to no avail , also the ignition switch has only three double connectors , I have four wires , green , white , white / red and brown . Can anybody she's any light on the order they go in / any ideas what is going on with my warning lights , any help greatly appreciated

ollek

Re: selectamatic wiring

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Before giving any sugestions, we will need to know more about your tractor. Model and manufacturing year or serial numbers are the most vital informations needed.

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi sorry 990 selectamtic , 1968 , number 805774 and it's still on dynamo

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Study the manual you will get by opening the following link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Dh6M2k0bVk and click on Tractor Service Manual 770-1412. (Covers models 770 780 880 885 990 995 996 1200 1210 1212 1410 1412 3800 and 4600. Twenty three (23) chapters) You will fnd the Electrical System in manual part W.

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi yeah I have a repair manual but all the models covered in that have four separate connectors where as my one has only three double connectors , it is a Lucas 128sa

philedge

Post by philedge » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Are you sure you have the right switch? Youll need connections for the following 4 circuits-
12v supply to the switch
12v out to the indicator lights and any guages fitted
12v out to the thermostart/manifold heater
12v out to the starter

Thats 4 separate connections youll need
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:55 am

Well, not all tractors have the Thermostart/manifold heater. Please check to see if there is a Thermostart valve in the inlet manifold. If not, then a 3-position ignition switch is used. A 4-position ignition switch is used if there is a Thermostart valve in the inlet manifold. If the Thermostart cold start aid is not needed, then you can use the 3-position switch and simply leave the lead to the Thermostart not connected to the ignition switch.

dbdgc

Post by dbdgc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:50 am

On my 1966 Model

The green feeds the oil and charge warning lamp
The white feeds the temp gauge
Brown is Live feed to the switch
The last wire goes to the solenoid

White and green are connected to the same terminal

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 am

A lucas 128SA seems to be a 4 position switch with 3 double connectors and 1 single connector. If its a 128sa thats being used, maybe the single connector has been broken off?

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:23 pm

ollek wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:55 am
Well, not all tractors have the Thermostart/manifold heater. Please check to see if there is a Thermostart valve in the inlet manifold. If not, then a 3-position ignition switch is used. A 4-position ignition switch is used if there is a Thermostart valve in the inlet manifold. If the Thermostart cold start aid is not needed, then you can use the 3-position switch and simply leave the lead to the Thermostart not connected to the ignition switch.
Hi yes I have the thermostat valve , the switch is on the right hand side under the diesel tank , the wire comes into the switch from the starter solenoid then out to the thermostat . As you've probably guessed electrics are not my strong point , all seems a bit of jiggery pockery to me , would rather have a stab at doing it myself than pay an autoelectrician

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:25 pm

philedge wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 am
A lucas 128SA seems to be a 4 position switch with 3 double connectors and 1 single connector. If its a 128sa thats being used, maybe the single connector has been broken off?
Yes when I put the number into Google it comes up with the four connectors but that is definitely the number on the switch , it doesn't look like anything has broken off

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:26 pm

philedge wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:32 pm
Are you sure you have the right switch? Youll need connections for the following 4 circuits-
12v supply to the switch
12v out to the indicator lights and any guages fitted
12v out to the thermostart/manifold heater
12v out to the starter

Thats 4 separate connections youll need
Hi it looks to be original but that's not to say it is

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 pm

philedge wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 am
Hi yeah when I Google it it comes up with the four connectors , but it's definitely that number on the back of the switch and doesn't look like anything broken off , as I said there doesn't seem to be a double three connector in any of the wiring diagrams in the repair manual

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:21 pm

Why dont you look at the engine inlet manifold. If there is a Thermostart unit, then you need a 4 position ignition switch. And by the way, forget the connectors for a while and turn the key and feel how many positions there are in the switch.

philedge

Post by philedge » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Mossop wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 pm
Hi yeah when I Google it it comes up with the four connectors , but it's definitely that number on the back of the switch and doesn't look like anything broken off , as I said there doesn't seem to be a double three connector in any of the wiring diagrams in the repair manual
Seems the 128SA is the general style of the switch and theres several variants with 3, 4 and 5 connectors on the back. If you google "lucas 30792" youll find a 3 connector variant. I think there should be a part number printed on the side of the switch which will tell you exactly which variant you have- is it there?