Spring from gearbox

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dbiow

Spring from gearbox

Post by dbiow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am

Hello again all. I’ve just changed the gearbox oil in my 885 (79 q cab) in the bottom of the filter housing I’ve found a wire (poss a spring clip?) there was also a small amount of sludge on the top of the filter with a few small white bits of nylon/plastic. I’ve tried to get pics of them as best I can.

The tractor does very little work these days (about 20hrs in the last 4 years carting hay and splitting firewood etc) but it’s sentimental value is huge so any help with Id of the wire and if I need to be worried about using it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Will.
Attachments
683F4379-FF56-4C89-9699-CE20F134E998.jpeg
683F4379-FF56-4C89-9699-CE20F134E998.jpeg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 733 times
8AF3723B-7204-4605-A5BB-9E98F43728CF.jpeg
8AF3723B-7204-4605-A5BB-9E98F43728CF.jpeg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 733 times
C5E0CE0E-52BA-4CB1-9C81-3FEF0FC60C33.jpeg
C5E0CE0E-52BA-4CB1-9C81-3FEF0FC60C33.jpeg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 733 times
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

ollek

Re: Spring from gearbox

Post by ollek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:25 pm

This is a spring from one of the synchro units. Please see item 17 in the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 9ar1286685 The tractor will work OK without the springs (there are 6 of them, 3 for gear 2 and 3 for gear 3), but the synchronizing of gears 2 and 3 will not work as it should.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Thank you kindly Ollek.

That would explain the occasional crunch from second then :lol: the tractor has done this for the last 20 plus years so I’m surprised the spring has taken this long to come out :shock:

I won’t worry about it at this time due to how few hours it does.

TEZB

Post by TEZB » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 pm

bit of a weak spot those synchro's, we had a new 996 that would not select 2nd gear very well (should not have left the factory like that or left the dealer like it). It was repaired under warranty but after a while started to crunch the gear's, we left it like this until the support snout broke in the gearbox. I took the gearbox apart put a new support snout in, new selector gates, and found the synchro had fell apart on the 2nd gear side, a large circlip that hold's the hub together, I put Loctite on the circlip, new synchro spring's and it was never any more trouble. We also bought a 995 from sale low hour's (less than 1000 hrs) this one also crunched the gear's, I dropped the gearbox oil and out came 6 bearing pad's and 6 synchro spring's, I don't know who made the synchro's DB or someone else but they could be troublesome. By the way we left the 995 as it was, a constant mesh gearbox.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:28 pm

My 885 selects the gears with no effort, just a very occasional crunch on second. My uncle had a 995 that had seen a lot of hard loader work the gearbox gave up eventually, that used to jump the selectors if you went diagonally with the geAr laver and try to get two gears at once :( if you only had 1 geAr they all crunched so guessing it is/was a common thing