990 stuck in high range

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Felix

990 stuck in high range

Post by Felix » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:55 am

Hi all,

First post, I've been reading on here for a while trying to learn as much about my new and first tractor. I've got a ton of questions but I thought I'd start with the latest one.

It was shifting from L to H fine until the weekend and now it won't come out of high. I've taken the lever off (three bolts) and can see a brass coloured roundish receiver.

What could be wrong and which way does this receiver move in normal operation?

I tried to attach a photo but it said the file was too big, hope linking is allowed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyteJuuZ5XKwQtoo6

Many thanks

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: 990 stuck in high range

Post by cobbadog » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am

G'Day Felix and welcome.

The bronze part, for your gear lever should move along the shaft so from bottom left to top right and back again.

Model number of your tractor will help as different models have there own issues.
You must compress your pictures to post them on most Forums so that is why you had trouble. Your link worked.
Do you have oil in the gearbox and is it clear and not milky?
Try with the gear box in neutral to lever the selector back and forth. You might need to ensure there is no load on the gearbox so it will move.

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks cobbadog.

Model, I'm unsure of as the plate is missing and I've been unable to work it out from the other numbers I've found dotted around.

Oil was milky and pretty ordinary, I've just drained it and about to refill with fresh. Who knows how old it was, could be as old as the tractor. I don't think it had much love with the previous owner. Needs new lever boots as they're just flat bits of rubber at the moment. Doing all the oils this weekend.

How would I go about making sure there is no load on the gearbox?

Cheers

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 am

Lets start with the basics. Is your tractor a Implematic or a Selectamatic? You can get a hint about the model by looking at the list of tractor models you will find in the following link http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/information/tractor-range Is the gear box a 6-speed or 12-speed? Do not start the engine, keep the clutch pedal fully down and select neutral with the main gear lever (gears 1-2-3 and reverse). Get yourself a Operators Manual for your tractor as soon as possible. You will need the manual but you have you know what tractor type you have in order to get the correct manual.

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 am

I'm 95% sure it's a 990 IMPLEMATIC 6 speed. I've got the repair, instruction and operation manual for that model and it's helped school me a lot. I've already repaired a couple of items including the height control. Looking at that site, the photos look very similar.

Edit: added photo below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EmBvCu4uvg2bXY8t6

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

Tha selector looks in good order.
To sort it , you need to get a screwdriver or similar implement and with no pressure on the drive and foot down on clutch, move the selector forward. For high the lever goes forward driving the selector back and vice versa for low.
Once the selector is in the middle position put it back together and try not to be so enthusiastic in future. Remember it is not synchromesh so gear changes must be made gently and when the tractor allows.
find some new boots for the gear levels to stop water ingress.
Sadly tractors of this age will often suffer selector issues, but replacement of the parts is a fair game

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks Steve. How much pressure would/should it take? I did try with a rod in there today but didn't want to put any force on it.

Also 'no pressure on the drive', anything additional to making sure the other lever is in neutral?

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Do not put the screw driver in the hole in the selector, but put a big screw driver behind the selector. Then brace the screw driver against the side of the hole in the gearbox top and give the end of the screw driver a knock with your hand. The selector will not move if you use a constant force on it.

Felix

Post by Felix » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:07 am

ollek wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm
Do not put the screw driver in the hole in the selector, but put a big screw driver behind the selector. Then brace the screw driver against the side of the hole in the gearbox top and give the end of the screw driver a knock with your hand. The selector will not move if you use a constant force on it.
Brilliant, that made all the difference. I didn't have a good enough screw driver but had a pry bar that fit well. A tap with the heel of my palm and it shifted. Now to clean the filter and refill!

Thanks heaps everyone.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm

My transmission oil was just a little low, I found that filling the transmission to the top of the mark made it shift a lot easier . I guess I should not of been surprised.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am

The shifter mechanism needs very little lubrication to work properly The lubrication will not work properly if the oil level in the transmission is well below the minimum mark on the dipstick or the return oil from constant hydraulic oil pumping has been connected wrongly. The oil level, if between the minimum and maximum marks, have no impact on the force needed to shift gears.