Yellow 900

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

richbug

Yellow 900

Post by richbug » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 am

Did any 900s leave the factory in yellow paint? I picked one up recently at auction sold as a "DB 900 industrial".

It has red primer base coat, then fairly intact yellow enamel, with a poor top coat of spray can red. Wheels are orchid white or close to it.

Any thoughts?

AD4//30J, 905, J900D, 50869

1957?

My son wants to make it pretty, need direction on paint.
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

ollek

Re: Yellow 900

Post by ollek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 am

I have never heard of a yellow 900 tractor. DB made tractors they called Yellow and Industrial but I have never seen a 900 Industrial or Yellow tractor. Please look in the following link http://www.davidbrowntractor.com/photog ... 20Tractors The first yellow pained tractor off the assembly line I know of, was built in 1960 and the 900 was built from 1956 to 1958. The yellow tractor was a Implematic and that is a model series after the 900. This can also be seen on the colour code page http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/information/colour-codes Yellow tractors had yellow wheels and the wheels were painted white in the Selectamatic tractors. The 900 model had blue wheels and the wheels on a Implematic were yellow.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

We are indebted to Mr. Alan Kellett for the following nugget of information about this situation.

"Yellow" or Highway tractors as they were latterly called were built on main assembly.Post 71 in R block and pre 71 on the old line adjacent to O block.
However Meltham management were always more than willing to cater for one off build/service / sales and parts requests from dealers and customers. Thus bespoke service ,sales and parts courses would be held for individual requirements.

Occasionally the same bespoke action would be taken on new build tractors.Spark arrester fitment being one such example.
All bespoke fitments were done at the Scarr Bottom fitting out shop. Whilst the main paint spraying was done halfway down main assembly there were occasions when only one Highway tractor was coming down the line amid hunting pink, and later orchid white.Rather than change the paint spray for one tractor the "highway "would receive the standard grey undercoat on line ,then be road tested and driven down to Scarr Bottom where a small spray booth was located at the west end of the fitting shop adjacent to field test.There it would receive the highway yellow topcoat.

Although no one can be sure ,it is therefore entirely possible that the 900 tractor mentioned in the post left the works in this bespoke manner dressed in highway yellow. Additionally ,such "one offs" rarely made it into any parts literature which could explain the lack of any documentation"
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 am

That way of producing explains why there is very little information on them but would there be a number in the serial number of tractor to make it stand out as being different?

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:06 am

Perhaps the following link to a page in the DBTC club information page will give some information. It tells us that the prefix letter "I" is for industrial. http://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/information/serial-numbers

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm

The OPs serial number "J900D" shows as an agricultural tractor with an agricultural diesel engine, "AD4" in the list ollek linked to.

Not sure if the bespoke tractor build that Scooby describes would have entailed changing tractor and engine serial numbers if a single agricultural tractor was pulled off the line and factory painted yellow to convert to a highway spec??
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 pm

philedge wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm
Not sure if the bespoke tractor build that Scooby describes would have entailed changing tractor and engine serial numbers if a single agricultural tractor was pulled off the line and factory painted yellow to convert to a highway spec??
They are not my words. As I said, it is text that Alan Kellet sent to me and asked me to post because he has forgotten his log-in details. What Alan doesn't know about what went on at Meltham isn't worth knowing !
ImageImage

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Any chance you could ask Alan if they used the standard agricultural serial number format for the individual tractors, which would clarify the OPs question??

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:19 pm

philedge wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 pm
Any chance you could ask Alan if they used the standard agricultural serial number format for the individual tractors, which would clarify the OPs question??
Almost certainly Alan will see your post but I will email the link to him anyway and if Admin. will issue a new password for him and advise him what it is as I have requested then he will be able to get back on here and contribute accordingly.

ImageImage

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 am

philedge wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 pm
Alan has forwarded the following comment for me to post :

"The 900 s/ n is for an ag tractor which is what I think the 900 mentioned is and always was.Bespoke yellow paint does not convert ag to industrial.Hence no reason to change s/n connotation even if there was such a connotation for a 900 .
It would be interesting to see a pic of this tractor if poss."
ImageImage

philedge

Post by philedge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Great. Seems the OPs tractor is an agricultural version with a hi vis paint job.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

possibly an order by the council from a local dealer , who painted it yellow themselves. It was not uncommon for highways departments to have tractors and I don't think specific highways models were available then. Possibly MF made the first and other makers took up the baton