DB Front Axle Problem -spindle/axle

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

colincornish

DB Front Axle Problem -spindle/axle

Post by colincornish » Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am

Hello everyone - this is my first post as our resurrected old DB780 farm tractor decided to shed its front wheel …….the short stub axle has broken. I have tried searching on line for a new spindle unit but no-one seems to list it. There are lots for the 800/900/90 range which all seem to be the same but I think the 700 range must be different? Can anyone confirm?...….. and hopefully tell me where I can get one.

I have read that there are a couple of bushes on the spindle but these did not come out when the spindle dropped out - do I need to replace these? and how do I best get them out?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me. : :D

Colin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: DB Front Axle Problem -spindle/axle

Post by cobbadog » Sat May 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Is it possible to post a pic of the offending parts?
Some time earlier this year there was a thread on a repair made by a member where the stub axle broke from the shaft. There were a few ideas on ways to do the repair so have a search through the Forum to see what can be found. If it has bushes inside the front axle they would need to be pressed out but if you look inside and see the bushes you may be able to cut them with a saw then they should fall out. New bushes and bearings are available but a new spindle assembly will be tricky to find but a wrecker might have what you need so search for tractor wreckers in the UK and see what happens. A member here might have a spare part so hopefully an answer that works for you pops up soon.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat May 11, 2019 2:06 pm

It is against the law to repair a stub axle, as it is a part of the steering system. I would not recommend to do any repair to steering parts.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sat May 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Search this forum for Haynes Manual you can find a link to the 780 Parts Manual (At the bottom of the first page is a link to parts manuals) and an exploded view so you can see what it should be like.

The stub axle/king pin I would try Barclay Williams first on 01386 833694 He does re-manufactured/refurbished and breaks a few tractors for bits so he would be my first choice - If you get no joy there try Pocock Tractor Suppies in Shaftsbury Dorset on 01747 828272 He breaks tractors and usually has what people are looking for but go and get it - Both have a website.

The bushes (there are 2 per side) fit on the king pin - I would leave them in the beam extension until you have a replacement stub axle then if the wear is to great replace them - they are usually drifted out. There are plastic replacement ones about but they are rubbish. You can get replacements from David Brown Parts and once fitted usually need to be reamed with an adjustable reamer - most small garages can do it......well they did for me years ago on an MGB

Hope that helps

Andy

philedge

Post by philedge » Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Almost certain its not against the law to repair a stub axle in the UK and definitely not if your running the tractor on your own land. If youve got the facilities or want to pay an engineering worshop, then look up the post cobbadog mentions and see a full repair guide. Id guess it would be pretty expensive to pay for a worshop repair making things from scratch??

Failing that, theres plenty of breakers around, but whether stub axle assemblies off other models will fit is a different question- 780 and 880 part numbers are different!
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 pm

I used a suitable sized socket wrench to drift out the old bushes with a hammer, did not need to use a press or resort to cutting. I got new bushes from ASC bearings in the US. In general I have had good luck finding new and used parts by finding the DB/case part number then putting that into the web search. In my case only the threads were damaged so the old axle was rebuilt. There are some spacers that look like short fat washers and some O-rings that need to be replaced along with the bush, I don't know if your tractor is the same. The repair manual and parts manual are both really helpful. In my opinion worth buying. Sometime you can find on line free pdfs. The newer tractors have parts lists on line, https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... model_find

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 pm

I tend to lean with ollek about repairing stub axles but I don't think it is against the law but rather against my grain based on safety. If I noticed a weld on a stub axle I would be asking a lot of questions IF the tractor was going on public roads and if it has been an engineered repair along with an x-ray for the quality of the weld.
So if you choose to repair rather than replace just keep the safety factor in mind.

philedge

Post by philedge » Sun May 12, 2019 3:36 pm

cobbadog wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 pm
So if you choose to repair rather than replace just keep the safety factor in mind.
Also bear in mind that what is assumed to be an original DB stub axle assembly on the OPs tractor has snapped! Id be equally happy with a descent repair or a replacement.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon May 13, 2019 5:42 am

Just off interest, is there a front loader on the tractor? And if there is, what size is the loader and what is the weight of the counter ballast?

philedge

Post by philedge » Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 am

Theres a complete 780 front axle with both stub axles on ebay:)