Rear Lights

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Rear Lights

Post by cobbadog » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:20 am

As I get closer to the painting of my 30C I am doing some of the fiddly bits I want to do to the tractor while I wait for the weather to be in my favour. One thing I am doing is fitting rear lights and these ones although not David Brown lights are what I wanted, a stop/tail light which is a low profile. So in my search of lights I found some MF lights that filled my requirements so I bought them. they came from Sparex and I have had them stored for well over a year now and today I mounted both guards on a bench and fitted them up. It was not until I took them apart I realised that they are made with-out and earth at all. SO I had to solder an earth wire to the mounting bracket to get them to work.
there is nothing so annoying as having to repair a brand new part.
Attachments
20190420_114637.jpg
20190420_114637.jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
20190420_114704.jpg
20190420_114704.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
20190420_114729.jpg
20190420_114729.jpg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

bedwards1966

Re: Rear Lights

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Shocking, the rubbish that we sometimes end up with.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 am

Here are my head lights painted and ready to go back on once the tractor is painted and the fan, generator and starter motor are also done. These tail lights are still hanging to dry so will post a pic of them once re-assembled.
Attachments
20190505_113511.jpg
20190505_113511.jpg (98.05 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
20190505_113647.jpg
20190505_113647.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 am

Starter and dynamo would have been painted red originally and also the headlight mounting brackets.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sun May 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Nice job on the painting, thanks for sharing, looks like it is sprayed on?

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun May 05, 2019 10:29 pm

There should be two clamping straps on the dynamo.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon May 06, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks db2d but I wanted these to be black to break up all the red once finished. There will be some other small changes from what is considered original but that is how I would like it to be. Take these stop/tail lights for instance, wrong make of tractor and never ever seen on this mark but it will be on this one.
Yes the paint is sprayed from a pressure pack can. It is made by White Knight here in Australia and is sold as Rust Guard, Epoxy Enamel and this is a high gloss. It is just another one of those paints that requires no primer and can be sprayed straight onto bare metal. I have just started to use this brand and so far so good. It doe have a long drying time but what's the hurray.
Prior to this I was using another product named Rustoleum and sells as XX paint (????) at Bunnings Hardware. This too was a brilliant product but lately the trigger action on the last couple of cans has been dripping and is very messy to use. This is similar type of paint being an Epoxy paint but I found that the gloss does not hold for a long term. After around 18 months it starts to loose it's gloss. This paint is something from the USA or at least the patents are and where it is made I have never looked. If the trigger didn't leak I would have never found the other brand plus a mate told me he had been using it for a while with good results.
Attachments
20190506_140115.jpg
20190506_140115.jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
20190506_140122.jpg
20190506_140122.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 pm

I think it is interesting to find out what the original tractors looked like and how they worked, but so far at least, all of my equipment has been modified to suite my purposes, preferences and budget.
Cobbadog,
Thanks for the additional info I am starting some painting on a 900. Will you you have the paint mixed to a specific paint code or have you found a premixed color red that you like, is it close to original?
Also can you explain what is a pressure pack can? I have a couple of inexpensive automotive spray guns, one is pressure fed and the other is gravity fed, they both run off the shop compressor. I have also used the disposable aerosol cans on some projects but typically they say color matches cap, there is no paint code or number. Often the finished part is not very close to the cap color. From what I have found so far it seems like a lot of paint codes are only available in certain countries.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 am

Aerosol cans is what I am referring to. They are called a pressure pack can as the paint is under pressure in a can. As for the colour, Hunting Pink is what this is suppose to be and possibly will be but in full gloss 2pak paint. I have no paint codes that make sense here in Australia as we use different paint suppliers and they all have their own colour charts and numbers which do not cross reference to any other brand.
The only way to get an original colour here id to find a section that has been out of the sun and protected from the elements and have that matched using a specto-graph that paint shops use. Or the other way is to use the colour cards and hold it against the protected colour that has been washed cut and polished back to good condition and be happy with that. I used this method to accurately match the original colour used on the Model 1 Victa lawn mowers. So many people have used all sorts of colours and they look good but you know it isn't right from what you remember. Since having my paint made up using the method as described above, every comment made has been where did you get that colour from as it is correct. I am happy to let them know and what the code is when using a certain brand paint supplier.
If you are in the UK you can buy the correct paint from "davidbrownspares" but then it isn't the 2pak I want to use either.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 pm

those ferguson lights do not need an earth as they are for a single filament bulb with two connections!

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm

are you any further on ,show us the final pictures

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon May 13, 2019 6:09 am

Hi Joe,
These lights are for both a single and a double filament globe. When I looked at buying these there was an option of just tail lights or stop/tail lights and this when they fitted the double filament globe with parallel pins. SO when this is the case you do need to have an earth wire otherwise no lights would work.