Replacement ball joints

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Replacement ball joints

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:39 am

Hi,
I just replaced both front ball joints on the steering arm that runs across in front of the axle. Fortunately who ever replaced the old ones use anti seize grease on them and once the clamp was released they unscrewed by hand all the way. Fortunately I measure across the arm from outside to outside of the old ball joints and counted the number of turns I undid them. As I replaced each side I noticed a problem and that was I could not screw them back on the same amount of turns. After fitting both new ones on and then measuring the overall width was wider by 20mm (3/4").
I have 2 questions please.

1 - What is the thread size and pitch on the steering arm? I measure 18TPI using a Whitworth thread gauge.
2 - Why is it wider and not screw on as many turns?

The end result when fitted is around 40mm toe out which is not correct.

db2d

Re: Replacement ball joints

Post by db2d » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am

The description you have given suggests to me that the ‘ Trackrod ‘ is not a David Brown part. I8 TPI is 7/16 BSF, this is much smaller than the original. One end should have a right handed thread and the other a left hand. The tracking should be set to 1/8 inch toe in.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:42 am

That is correct but the parts ordered for a David Brown 30C from davidbrownparts.uk sent the correct parts from their parts list. The LH threaded one has a part number of 15618 and screws on by hand. So what ever the thread is they make the ball joint to suit that thread. My thread chart does not list this 18TPI and 11/16" OD on the male thread. This is what is annoying me as I would like to know what it actually is.
Here is a picture of the 18 TPI thread gauge sitting completely in the threads and is labelled as 18G - 5/16
I've even tried looking up UNF threads but it is not a 60' pitch as the 55' pitch fits lovely.
Attachments
20190313_141159.jpg
20190313_141159.jpg (232.3 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 am

If the steering levers are in the correct position on the stub axles there is normally ample thread on the trackrod for adjustment.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:02 am

Thank you db2d, Peter from david brown spares also suggetsed that. So when I can get back to it I will do just that.

Do you know what thread pitch and size thes are? It has been suggested that it is 5/8" UNF - 60'
It appears that there is an 11/16" x 18TPI BSF and may be the correct pitch at 55'

By moving one of the steering arms on the top of the stub axle will it make the arm from the steering box too long?

Found this chart as well and opens a Pandoras' Box -

http://www.bareco.com.au/files-tierod-un1

On this list it shows that MF and Ford have the same thread size of 11/16" but have a different overall length as shown in column C and may be why the new ball joints when fitted give me a wider measurement than the originals.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 am

As suggested I moved the steering arm around on the spline and now can have the correct adjustment of toe-in. Tomorrow I will re-adjust the length of the steering rod from the pitman arm to the front to suit after centralizing the steering box.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:04 am

The parts in the link are not for the DB tractor model that you have.
As I have stated,when the system is set up correctly there is ample adjustment on the trackrod for tracking purposes.
Bear in mind when centralising the steering box for the fitting of the drop arm and drag link adjustments that the turning circle is sharper when turning right.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks db2d,
Yes I was listening to what you suggested. Fortunately it is all sorted out but it doesn't explain why the new joints are wider than the old.
got on with the next issue and solved it as well today and that was the 3 point linkage issue I had as it was not lifting as high as it should to be able to engage the lock pin in the highest position, now it does so today has been a win win.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 am

There is no reason to want an explanation to the situation you have, as it looks to be obvious that someone has, in the past, fitted unsuitable parts.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:16 am

I think the parts I replaced are original and not replacement but it did have the steering arm moved around the spline for an unknown reason and now this has been fixed by moving it around by 1 spline on the stub axle.
I say that the old parts I removed are quite possibly original as when I clean off the layers of paint it then shows the original colour and this has only been painted over once since new as it would appear at some stage this may have been used during the second world war by our RAAF going by the blue paint and white numbers it had beneath the grille on the flat section.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 am

The war was over quiet a few years before your tractor was made.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:26 am

That is true db2d but they still had them in use out here long after the war and I was wondering why this blue paint with white numerals/letters are painted on the tractor. It just may have been a part of the plant and equipment line up. I have been onto our record keepers at the War Memorial and typical of us Aussies, not many records have been kept on vehicles. They do have a good list of troop carriers and tanks but not one piece of info on plant and equipment so far found.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 am

The 30C, and the 25C and D, was in production from 1953 to 1957 and the war ended 1945. The first tractor completely designed and built by David Brown was the VAK1. This tractor was produced from 1939 to 1945. Then came the VAK1A (1945 to 1947), followed by the Cropmaster with different specifications.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:07 am

That is right ollek but as I mentioned we kept putting these tractors into work long after the war. They worked on the thoery if it isn't broken don't fix it or this works well lets keep buying them. Hence the possibility that the later models did go into the services but obviously not during the war but more like service vehicles.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:33 am

Oh dear, there was no 30C made before 1953, the war ended 1945 and you have said you have a 30C. Are you now talking about something else than a David Brown 30C when you say "these tractors", and if so what model are you referring to? The tractor must be a VAK 1 if it was used during the war, and NOT a 30C.