885 Rev Counter Cable Replacement

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Oldgustav

885 Rev Counter Cable Replacement

Post by Oldgustav » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Bought a 885 and only realised when I got it home that the rev counter doesn't work :( So, I purchased a cable from Barclay Williams and am now faced with the daunting task of fitting it. My 885 has a cab, so there's all that housing around the steering column. I have no idea where to begin. Is there a repair manual out there for purchase, or a step by step guide to 885 rev counter cable replacement? Thanks!

dbiow

Re: 885 Rev Counter Cable Replacement

Post by dbiow » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 pm

If you remove the steering wheel and then the screws around the side of the black dash top you can lift the dash top enough to put your hand through and undo the cable from the back of the Rev counter.
The other end I seem to remember being self explanatory to undo but it’s a while since I’ve done so to remember. I can’t remember how hard it is to thread the new one through check you don’t need to pull the new cable through with the old before you remove it. Sorry I can’t be more help but I reckon it’s 25 years since mine was changed
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm

dbiow wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 pm
If you remove the steering wheel and then the screws around the side of the black dash top you can lift the dash top enough to put your hand through and undo the cable from the back of the Rev counter.
The other end I seem to remember being self explanatory to undo but it’s a while since I’ve done so to remember. I can’t remember how hard it is to thread the new one through check you don’t need to pull the new cable through with the old before you remove it. Sorry I can’t be more help but I reckon it’s 25 years since mine was changed
Thanks. That should get me started.

mikeadams1985

Post by mikeadams1985 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Have you bought the correct cable?
There is two sizes at the engine end. 5/8 to 7/8 and 5/8 to 3/4
I found out the hard way haha,

if you have the wrong size let me know, ive a spare sat here.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 pm

mikeadams1985 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Have you bought the correct cable?
There is two sizes at the engine end. 5/8 to 7/8 and 5/8 to 3/4
I found out the hard way haha,

if you have the wrong size let me know, ive a spare sat here.
That's very kind of you. I haven't started the job yet, so don't know if the cable I have fits. Will let you know!