CASE 1690 engine oil pressure reading

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

providencefarms

CASE 1690 engine oil pressure reading

Post by providencefarms » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:18 am

I recently installed an oil pressure gage in the cab of my 1690 because I wanted to monitor the oil pressure closely. I read approximately 40 PSI. Is that where it should be? The weird thing is that I get about 40 PSI (45 at the most) when the engine is cold and it seems to stay the same (maybe a litle less 37-38 PSI) even when the engine is warm... Is there something wrong with my oil pump? Thanks for your input.

ollek

RE: CASE 1690 engine oil pressure reading

Post by ollek » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:12 am

A pump that is in good condition will on higher revs constantly produce a pressure that is above the opening pressure for the pressure relief valve. This is why the pressure is the same with cold and hot oil as the relief valve is controlling the pressure. The pressure will normally be a little less when the engine is idling. A 40 psi pressure on lets say 1800 rpm does not sound bad to me, but I have no official figures at hand.

providencefarms

Post by providencefarms » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you Ollek, that makes sense.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm

I don't know the figures for that engine, but I'd be quite content with those readings.

Ian

Re: CASE 1690 engine oil pressure reading

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Just as a note to anyone Reding this the pressure relief valve on a 1690 is set at 55 psi I have a gauge fitted and was getting 55 to 60 psi cold dropping to 50 psi hot at 1800 revs I suddenly noticed a drop in pressure of around 10 to 15 psi on inspection I found one of the screws missing on the upright after putting the screw back in place the pressure did not go back to were it was so I set off to check the oil pump whilst striping it down I found the high pressure pipe to pump union was only finger tight and dripping oil I know from the gauge that the pressure never dropped below 25 to 30 psi .I also found signs of gray around the big ends so stripped them out to check and found no4 bearing shell worn to half thickness the engine had developed a knock at higher reves the engine is now totally striped awaiting a rebuild