DB885 Serial Number Location

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Oldgustav

DB885 Serial Number Location

Post by Oldgustav » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Have just acquired an 885 and I need the serial number so I can send in a V62 to DVLA. I've read on this forum that the serial number is on the rhs on 'chassis' near the fuel filters. The problem is, this 885 has a loader (see attached). Am I looking in the right place?
885.jpg
885.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

philedge

Re: DB885 Serial Number Location

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 pm

On the 880 the tractor serial number is on top of the chassis just in front of the radiator on the right hand side. You might be able to see it from the battery compartment.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Being a of a newbe with the 885, the battery is behind the grill. Do you mean it's somewhere in there?

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:24 am

Yes, that is where you should look. Not sure if you need to remove the battery to make it easier. Take a good torch with you as well.

philedge

Post by philedge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:40 am

On the picture you posted, drop down vertically from the number "885" until you get to the bottom edge of the bonnet. The serial number should be behind this point on top of the red chassis, just in front of the radiator bottom. Thats where it is on my 880.

If you look in through the battery compartment to the rear left you may be able to see the number with a torch if its clean, uncorroded and not been painted over. If you can't see it youll need to remove the bonnet.

Tidy looking tractor youve got there

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks, I'd taken the mesh grill off and couldn't see anything - but will go and have another look now. Yes, it is quite smart looking but it's not without it's issues, so there will be plenty of posts coming through. For instance, it's a terrible starter from cold - took us three or four minutes to get it going. Not used to that. And there are so many levers and knobs compared to the 135.

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 pm

The DB three cylinder engine is normally an excellent starter.
Are you operating the cold start procedures correctly?

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 13.59.05.png
Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 13.59.05.png (137.73 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
db2d wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 pm
The DB three cylinder engine is normally an excellent starter.
Are you operating the cold start procedures correctly?
As in preheat for 30-60 seconds? Or as per the 885 Instruction Book. It wasn't even cold this morning, 8-10 degrees C.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:34 pm

philedge wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:40 am
On the picture you posted, drop down vertically from the number "885" until you get to the bottom edge of the bonnet. The serial number should be behind this point on top of the red chassis, just in front of the radiator bottom. Thats where it is on my 880.

If you look in through the battery compartment to the rear left you may be able to see the number with a torch if its clean, uncorroded and not been painted over. If you can't see it youll need to remove the bonnet.

Tidy looking tractor youve got there
No sign of the elusive serial number. Grill off, torch on, back left, all clean but no number. Is it on a stamped plate? Found the Sekura cab number and the DB loader number - both in easily visible locations.

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:37 pm

The wing nut on the side of the pump has to be turned in before any attempt to start the engine - if the engine is rotated before this device is engaged, it does not function. Is the Thermostart heating up ? When were the fuel injectors last serviced?

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 pm

db2d wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:37 pm
The wing nut on the side of the pump has to be turned in before any attempt to start the engine - if the engine is rotated before this device is engaged, it does not function. Is the Thermostart heating up ? When were the fuel injectors last serviced?
Thanks for your help and advice. Tried to turn the wing nut but it is awkwardly situated behind a fuel line and appears to be seized. I didn't want to force it and snap the tommy bar. I put a spanner on the outer nut but it turned the larger nut next to it. Decided to not to take it out to (a) avoid fuel going everywhere (b) getting air in the system. Thoughts on this?

How can I check if the thermostat is working?

No idea when the injectors were serviced. Have just bought it and I'm having tiny bit of a meltdown...

philedge

Post by philedge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Oldgustav wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:34 pm

No sign of the elusive serial number. Grill off, torch on, back left, all clean but no number. Is it on a stamped plate? Found the Sekura cab number and the DB loader number - both in easily visible locations.
If you look in the manual I linked to in your PTO thread, it shows you where the serial number is. Take the bonnet off to have a proper look.

While the bonnet is off you can have a go at freeing the cold start device on the injector and pull the thermostart out to check its working

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:37 pm

On some of the 885 tractors the serial number is stamped on top the frame near the bottom radiator hose.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks again both. That's a good idea! So, bonnet off means disconnect exhaust pipe and air intake? Then there's one bolt just inside the grill. Is that it. And then it lifts off? Two persons? Going to find this serial no. if it kills me (well not quite).

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Bonnet info is in the Instruction Manual! I will read cover to cover!