New member 1952 cropmaster

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Matt101

New member 1952 cropmaster

Post by Matt101 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi all,
My names matt, I’m a new member on this site and already a fan with the info I have read.
I have recently inherited my grandfathers 1952 David Brown cropmaster diesel. It’s completly original and that’s how I intend to keep it.
I have a few questions if there’s anyone on here that can help, firstly I need to get a couple of new battery’s, I believe they are 6v units, where is the best place to get these?
I intend if possible to use the tractor for road runs and also topping a small paddock, I’ve been looking at a few toppers but do I need to look for anything specific? Size etc? Will they all fit?
I’m not too clued up on any of this yet.
Thanks,
Matt

db2d

Re: New member 1952 cropmaster

Post by db2d » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I personally use batteymegastore.co.uk
Most people use the largest 12 volt battery that will fit in the battery carrier in place of two 6 volts. You can still obtain 6 volt batteries but they are expensive and most of them are of dubious quality. To keep the original look you can use dovetailed wooden boxes with a CAV logo with a modern battery inside.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 am

Welcome to the Forum. You have a very desirable tractor and with it's history will be something that you can talk about on treks and be able to offer the history of it in your family.
Banking 6v batteries will obviously work but as advised they are expensive and due to the low manufacture rate are fairly ordinary. Consider running the 12v battery and confirming the polarity of your system as it should be positive earth and then checking the output of the generator as you will need it to be a 12v system.

Matt101

Post by Matt101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks for the replies. It's seems a single 12v battery might be a better option.
I will get some pictures added over the weekend.
Regarding implements, does anyone know what the cropmaster is capable of power wise? I think really all I will use it for its topping a paddock,
There's a 6ft topper for sale local to me, would this be ok on the back or should I go for a smaller 4ft one?
Thanks

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 am

Driving a small topper would not be a problem in my opinion. There could be a problem with the hydraulic system lifting capabilities. The hydraulic pump is old and new ones are not available.

Matt101

Post by Matt101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks db2d.
Il stick to Looking for a small 4ft topper.
It's looks like there are loads around but they all say for a compact tractor, does this mean they will not fit mine? I was under the impression that any implements will fit?
Apologies for the very simple questions.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm

They should fit, check that they are category 1 lower links your DB should be cat 1, if not you could change the pins on the topper easily, also check the distance between the lower arms , some implements for compact tractors have a shorter distance between the lower links. also check the pto shaft length and the diameter of the of the end that goes on the tractor should be 1 3/8".

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Just another thought, a 4' topper would not cover the tractor tracks, try and see if you could get one that is offset, that would solve the track problem.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 am

The problem here is that there are two "types" of off-set. The first one just protrudes outside of the RH (o/s) tractor wheel. The problem with this type is that one wheel (two actually if you include the tractor front wheel) are always going to run on uncut grass and because the wheels push the grass away from the cutters then that strip will not be cut as low as the other grass is and after a couple of day when it's sprung back up again I always think it looks a bit untidy.

The other sort is the fully offset which swings out onto grass that is about to be cut and has not had any wheels running over it. But almost certainly a Croppy won't manage one like this. I think if I was looking for something to go behind that size of tractor I would look at one of the old trailed foragers that were fully off-set. Like a Kidd, Bamford, Lundell or a DB. This Bamford would do the job well but I would take the shoot and funnel off and just throw whatever is cut on the ground behind the machine. It would make a very tidy job.They do come up on eBay.
Attachments
FH4.jpg
FH4.jpg (145.5 KiB) Viewed 667 times
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby