1972 995 gearbox problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

jimsdavidbrown

1972 995 gearbox problem

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:33 pm

The previous owner had the gearsticks off and I don’t know what he had been up to, but when I got it I could only get HIGH and LOW on left stick. I’ve tigthened the fixings for the sticks and adjusted the clutch pedal height and it may be coinsidence but now I can get
LS L HS and H ratios. The problem is with engine running I can get all gears on right stick in ranges LS L HS, but in H with the right stick in neutral when you start to raise the clutch pedal, you can feel clutch biting as if engaging drive but the tractor isn’t moving and it feels as if somethings locked in the gearbox. It’s the same with the right stick in any of its positions, it doesn’t want to move but the engine revs drop as you release the clutch.
Sounds serious to me but anybody got any thoughts.(when I only had H & L ranges it drove ok in all gears on right stick)
Thanks in anticipation jim

DB780

Re: 1972 995 gearbox problem

Post by DB780 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

If he had the L/H gear lever out he has probably refitted the lever the wrong side the spring and the gear selector jaws in the wrong place If you lift the lever out you will see the spring, just put the lever the other side the spring and put the selectors in place.

jimsdavidbrown

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks ,i’m Not Sure I understand what you mean, but i’ll Take the stick off and have a peer in, maybe take a photo and post it to see if you think selectors are in the wrong position
Thanks jim

jimsdavidbrown

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 am

Hi DB780, photo attached. I assume the wire over the top of the selectors is the spring you refer to. The stick was in neutral when I took it off, do you think the selectors look in the correct position? Thanks in anticipation.
20190125_093248.jpg
20190125_093248.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

DB780

Post by DB780 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 am

There is no neutral in high low it should be in one or the other. So move the single jaw selector to align with one of the jaws on the two jaw selector. Then put the gear stick into the single jaw so the spring will hold in that jaw. So to engage high/slow or low/slow you push against the spring to select that gear.

jimsdavidbrown

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks for the advice, i used to be glued to the seat of one of these as a teenager, but I never did a great deal of taking them apart, so all advice is great fully received.
Jim

jimsdavidbrown

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:32 pm

The problem still persists with high range, even with the right stick in neutral, when you raise the clutch pedal you can feel the engine revs fall and the tractor won’t move. What I have found is that if I change from low to high while the tractor is rolling forward all works ok. Any thoughts? Jim

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Sounds like the gear box is locking up when you select High gear. There is a possibility that the High/Low gear has split into two half's after the circlip holding the two gears together have failed. If this is the case, then you will need a new (or used) High/Low gear. It is usually not possible to push the two gears together as the filed circlip will not hold the part together. The circlip can not be obtained, as a spare part. Splitting of the gear will happen if excessive force is used to change from Low to High when the tractor is moving and the clutch has not completely disengaged. Please se ref number 14 in the following link. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 9ar1283290 The first thing to do is toe remove the gear box top and check the gear.

jimsdavidbrown

Post by jimsdavidbrown » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Sounds like a lot of work if that’s the case, ( I assume it involves splitting tractor etc) for the moment now I’ve got high range which will cover most of my work ,it can stay there. Maybe it’s a job for retirement whenever that’ll be. Thanks jim