990 block to chassis oring size

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

jazo

990 block to chassis oring size

Post by jazo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi, I have a imp 990 I'm repairing for a costumer and I have a new bottom gasket set but the 2 half orings that seal around the main bearing housings appear to be to thin. They measure 4mm which I think they should be 3/16 or something imperial. Anyone know the correct size? Thanks Jason
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

GeoffDEAL

Re: 990 block to chassis oring size

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 am

Hi jazo had a look in a original parts book but it only shows the front seal and doesnt indicate size, i guess front and back are the same, how do they compare with the bits that came out they would be a bit flattened but may give an indication of original size. never had a later than Cropmaster block out myself, perhaps check another type of gasket set to compare. cheers Geoff

jazo

Post by jazo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 am

Hi Geoff. It was a sparex kit. The supplied orings don't protrude at all! Yes front and rear are the same size
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 am

Contact david brown spares and ask them the correct size. 4mm is a bit bigger than 3/16" isn't it? That would make them seal well or be a fair mongrel to slip in.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 am

1/16 of a inch is 1,587 mm. 3/16 of an inch is therefor 3x1,587=4,761 mm. For quick calculations you can use the following easy to remember figures: 1/16 of an inch equals 1,6 mm.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi jazo if you feel that you need thicker 0 ring section it is available in bulk in different sizes from good engineering supplies for making up large o rings for jobs like large pumps ect, they just cut off what you need. I got some from Front Store down here for a large pump to suit in that case the ends are glued together with a special Loctite glue.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:00 am

I would recommend to contact david brown spares as suggested. Just fitting a "bigger" O-ring without knowing the correct diameter, can result in leaks and other problems.